Ruger MKIII, Springer N.M. targe for bullseye, and 50 meter?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

magi

Ruger MKIII, Springer N.M. targe for bullseye, and 50 meter?

Post by magi »

Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to shooting right hand free for points ( usually shoot two hands for fun...) I want to start in bullseye without spending Thousands of dollars, so...
Is the Ruger MKIII sufficient for 50 ' and 50 meter beginning level competition, if so, does it make a difference if it is just a bull barrel- or some specific target version?
In centerfire I was contemplating getting a Springfield National Match target version for around $850 from Buds guns. Would this be sufficient out of the box or would it need a lot of work?

I greatly appreciate any responses, Thanks, magi

* I am starting to work on 10 meter air also and picked up a Baikal 46-M for that.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I started out many years ago with a Ruger Mark I with 5.5" bull barrel. These guns are very accurate out-of-the-box, but the triggers really need help and the sights are ok, but I think need replacing. Don't be afraid to spend $100 or so for a good trigger job for your Ruger. My Ruger was a very good beginner pistol, but it didn't take me long to improve the trigger and then want a better gun. In my case, I bought a Connecticut-made Hi-Standard Military Citation. It was a very good gun out-of-the-box, but I would stay away from the current Hi-Standard pistols made in Texas. I've seen too many with too many problems.

As for the Springfields, I have only owned one. You might get lucky and get a real accurate shooter (under 3.5 inch groups at 50 yards) out-of-the-box, but for 50 yard shooting you may need to get it accurized. It will probably need a trigger job even if it shoots accurately. If time isn't a big issue, I'd get a plain Jane Springfield Milspec and send it to a lesser known, but competent bullseye pistolsmith (Dave Salyer comes to mind) and have him do a trigger job, add adjustable sights, a Kart barrel and bushing and tighten the frame-to-slide fit. You may get all that done for just a little more than the cost of your new Springer.

Another very good option is to buy a good used bullseye pistol. There are some nice ones out there you can still pick up for $1,000-$1,200.
magi

used bulls eye pistol

Post by magi »

Hello Msny, and thanks for the reply; what would you recommend for a used bulls eye .45 and where am I most likly to find it? Some where Like Guns America or a special blog?
It may be a moot point for a year; I just started shooting right handed un supported and i'm only shooting around 396/600, but I want the basic equipment I can grow into.(The Baikal 46-M is awesome! I love it.)

Richard
Misny

Post by Misny »

You can find used bullseye 1911's on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica. There are many very good bullseye pistolsmiths from the past. Giles, Clark, F. Bob Chow, Shockey, Matice, Madore, and Nygord come to mind. If you can stand to wade through a lot of e-mails every day you may want to join the Bullseye List. There are bullseye pistols for sale on there from time-to-time. You can check them out at http://www.lava.net/~perrone/bullseye/ A fellow in Indiana who comes to our air gun matches had a Nygord wad gun for sale a couple of weeks ago. Send me a PM for more details.