Konus Aimpoint micro like red dot

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mstuhr

Konus Aimpoint micro like red dot

Post by mstuhr »

Howdy,
Does anyone have any input on the little Konus dot sight?
Thanks
Mike
FredB

Post by FredB »

I've been wondering about it also, since it's currently on sale at Midway. On the Midway item page, there are several reviews, some of which indicate the optics are not the greatest. I can't tell from the reviews if the problem is present in all samples or just a few.

HTH,
FredB
mstuhr

Hi Fred

Post by mstuhr »

Hi Fred,
I have read that too. I have also purchased two Ultradots that I can say the same thing about. Stacking and distortion. I still have one of them and I seem to shoot it well for all the fault I find with it.
I have an old Simmons on one of my guns that I might replace and the light, little (Oh yeah, inexpensive!) Konus appeals to me.
Thanks
Mike
FredB

Post by FredB »

Mike,

A word or warning about the Bushnell Micro clone that you might consider. Midway normally sells it at about $150 but on occasion it goes briefly on sale for about $115. So I recently got one at that price and immediately returned it. Optics, dot, weight, and construction all appeared fine, but the dot projection housing protruded at an odd angle into the round sight picture. It must have blocked at least 1/6 of the visual circle - very distracting.

There are other Chinese-made (= inexpensive) Micro clones around that appear to be better than the Bushnell, so I'm still looking. If you get the Konus, please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
FredB
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

It seems to be an unfortunate nature of the optics in most of these dot sights. I have used Millett for many years and for the most part have been satisfied. Recently I ordered a new 1"X 3moa replacement for my (sick) 15 year old Millett dot site from Midway and it had a very serious dot problem for me---it didn't turn off or fade on me---it would wink at me (lol) and disappear from view---slow, timed & rapid. I returned it to Midway and they sent another---this one so far is quite good if not excellent. Then I wanted to try a 30mm size for bigger wider optics---I ordered the variable dot size---I opened the box turned on the scope and it was a laugh a minute---the "3moa" dot was a mere fly speck and barely visible at #10, ( much smaller in appearance than on the standard sight) the other "sizes" were equally ridiculous---guess what it went back. Ultra Dot has been a problem for me as I don't feel the optics are quite good enough---in simple terms the dot ain't a dot---it's a blur. It's a crap shoot and I don't feel that Midway is the blame of course, but they have to suffer with the return processes. But that seems to be a big part of the game these days. "Doc"
mstuhr

Ain't it the truth!

Post by mstuhr »

Howdy,
I mean to tell you it's a crapshoot. I have some pretty high price dots laying around here that dont compare to my best one, an old beat up Simmons. I have two U.D. sights that are wavy and distorted. They also reduce the image of the target due to what the company calls "Lens stacking". The first one I bought I returned because it was so bad.
I like the older Aimpoints and they can be bought right at times but they have a tiny dot and I like a larger one.
Another good one is a Bushnell Sportsman 1x25 It is light with a good round dot and has held up well.
As far as the Konus I'll let you know. I have one ordered. At under four onces and no rings it will be a lightweight treat if it is servicable.
I'll let you know.
Thanks
Mike
Orpanaut

Post by Orpanaut »

I've had one of the Konus micro dot sights for about a month. It hasn't been mounted yet so I can't really comment on its performance, but I did do a side-by-side comparison with the comparable Bushnell dot sight before buying. The Konus had a better mount (detachable from the sight body so you aren't out of luck if the screw strips) and no visual intrusions in the tube for less money.

Post by Guest »

There's another one like the Konus floating around at some of the shows. Company called "Hammers". Looks pretty decent at $89. Has anybody tried this one?
mstuhr

Hi Guest

Post by mstuhr »

Howdy,
I don't know if the Hammers is good or bad.
I have been around the Konus spotting scopes and found them to be good quality and more often than not a lot for your money.
The Konus can be found under $80.00.
Mine is still in transit and I will report on it when it gets in.
Thanks
Mike
mstuhr

Woke up and found it on the porch

Post by mstuhr »

Howdy,
OK, it is here and mounted and I'll shoot it today.
Here is a quick review from what I have learned.
It is held on by a giant external nut. Cosmeticly it could be a better design but it looks like the nut is up to the job.
Optically it is superior to the Ultra dots I have or have had. I mean it is clearer with less distortion than any of three UD dots I have owned.
The dot is well defined and I cant detect any parallax at 25-50 yards
The windage and elevaqtion are marked but are hard to read and could have a larger arrow but as I get older everything gets harder to read.
Anyway, other than an unorthodox appearence it seems to be a nice piece of gear.
I need to go pack a range bag.
I'll let you know more later
Mike
Isabel1130

Re: Woke up and found it on the porch

Post by Isabel1130 »

mstuhr wrote:Howdy,
OK, it is here and mounted and I'll shoot it today.
Here is a quick review from what I have learned.
It is held on by a giant external nut. Cosmeticly it could be a better design but it looks like the nut is up to the job.
Optically it is superior to the Ultra dots I have or have had. I mean it is clearer with less distortion than any of three UD dots I have owned.
The dot is well defined and I cant detect any parallax at 25-50 yards
The windage and elevaqtion are marked but are hard to read and could have a larger arrow but as I get older everything gets harder to read.
Anyway, other than an unorthodox appearence it seems to be a nice piece of gear.
I need to go pack a range bag.
I'll let you know more later
Mike
\

The windage and elevation arrows are also very hard to read on the actual aimpoint micro. I like the fact that you can use the cap to adjust it but would love to have an actual small screw driver option to do the same.
Does it have the integral mount that fits into a picatinny rail? I like that a lot as the aimpoint micro is much easier to mount on most guns than an ultradot. Theoretically if you were using it on a 45 you could put small rail into the rear sight mount and just attach it there as long as it will stand up to the recoil. That is how I have it on my AW-93. Recoil is of course not an issue on the .22 as the slide it slamming back and forth with the aimpoint on it. It puts what little weight there is, right over my hand where I like it. The only issue is making sure when you mount it you get your aimpoint lined up exactly with the barrel. That will help eliminate parallax. Isabel
mstuhr

I'm back

Post by mstuhr »

Hi Isabel,
Well, I like it. There have been some complaints about distortion in the lenses but this one is clear with a good round dot.
The mount fits a Weaver base and comes with an adapter for rimfire dovetail.
Now, It crawls some on a Pardini. This is not new and I have to sharpen the claws on most rings I have used in the past to get them to work. The claws on this sight are rather blunt. On a Weaver base with a cross slot I think it would be fine like it is.
I shot a 60 round course after sighting in and the thing was shooting great but the group was getting lower and lower towards the end. I marked it midway and was sure it was walking forward.
I sharpened them and put a coat of red Loctite where the claws fit the gun as I have with other rings and I am certain it will be fine.
Also I dry fired some while it was loose,moved it around, and found that it seems easier for me to hold with the dot mounted almost as far to the front as I can put it.
I have to say, if it holds up I really like it. I have saved the extra weight of a bigger dot sight plus rings. It is a 20mm tube. I like that too, and prefer that to a 30. Some might not like that.
There is the LED projector visible in the lower part of the tube but it does not bother me.
I'd say the best bet due to the complaints about distortion would be to go a shop and look at one and if it is good pick it up.
Good luck and thanks everyone for the comments.
Mike
FredB

Re: I'm back

Post by FredB »

mstuhr wrote: I'd say the best bet due to the complaints about distortion would be to go a shop and look at one and if it is good pick it up. Mike
Hi Mike,

It would be nice to be able to compare samples, but it isn't possible where I live. So I just ordered one from Midway. When I get it, I'll report on it, and we'll see if there was just one or two bad ones or if it really is a crap shoot.

Thanks,
FredB
mstuhr

Thanks Fred

Post by mstuhr »

Thanks Fred,
I shot mine today. I am gaining faith in the gun and the dot. The dot stayed put today.
We have been shooting an informal league of 60 rounds at 25 yards on 25 yard timed and rapid targets. I sighted the gun in with the new dot and shot a 200, 11X on the slowfire leg. I have never done that before.
I have shot this thing well but I feel like I'm getting more out of it now than before and the dot is part of it.
Let me know how the little sight works out for you.
Thanks
Mike
FredB

looks good, except...

Post by FredB »

Hi Mike,
Just received the Konus today and looked it over carefully (but not mounted or tested yet). Everything seems fine about it, with one strange exception. The optics seem good, the dot is nice and round and bright enough, the overall construction seems well made. However, the little elevation turret on top enters the main tube at a distinct angle. Probably no more than a couple of degrees to the left, but it's definitely noticeable. Does your sample have the same thing? I've never seen another red dot with something like this.
Thanks,
Fred
mstuhr

Hi Fred

Post by mstuhr »

Hi Fred,
Yep it does. I dont notice it untill I index it off the battery cap. I have been shooting mine and like it. My scores are good and I shot my best slow fire to date.
It lightened my gun up and the whole thing feels better to me.
Good luck with the dot.
Mike