Have you had success w/ the Zin's Grip??

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

solomon grundy

Have you had success w/ the Zin's Grip??

Post by solomon grundy »

I've put some effort into trying to shoot with it - several months - and have come to the conclusion that my hand simply isn't suited to such a shallow grip. Andy Moody had shown me the correct form, so I'm confident that I'm setting-up the grip correctly.

I'm a lefty, and almost all of my shots will hit between about 1 O'Clock and 3 O'Clock, usually in the 9 or 8 ring, when using this grip. The grouping is very consistent.

My groups using my 'natural' grip are centered and don't leave the 9 ring unless I screw-up and throw a flier. My natural grip is offset slightly as well, but not as shallow as the ZG.

What's especially annoying is that I can't call my shots. They'll look and feel good, but then show up in the 8 ring. What I think is happening, is that the barrel is deflecting significantly in the initial recoil, both due to slippage and lack of muscle control in my hand and wrist.

These comments aren't meant to disparage the ZG. I understand the advantages it can provide. But it just doesn't work for me.

Has anyone been successful in adapting this grip? If so, did you find that you needed to modify it a bit, or were you able to work with the grip that Andy and Brian demonstrate?

Post by Guest »

Hate to sound ignorant, but what is the "Zin's grip"?
2650 Plus

Zins Grip

Post by 2650 Plus »

I use it as close as I can manage and love it. The recoil,even on the 45 ball gun , does not cause the pistol to move in my hand, recovery is precice with alligned sights appearing at the end of recovery without any correction on my part. Fellow shooters, this is as good as it gets. Good Shooting Bill Horton
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

It's the grip that Brian Zins uses w/ a 1911. He and Andy Moody have promoted it through their clinics. Basically it's a grip that aligns the pistol with your eye, rather than the center line of your extended forearm.

The center of the backstrap wrests in the transition between the thenar (ie. fatty mound at the base of your thumb) and the palm. And this orientation allows you to use either the forward or rear transition of the first knuckle of your trigger finger to pull the trigger.

Post by Guest »

solomon grundy wrote:
It's the grip that Brian Zins uses w/ a 1911. He and Andy Moody have promoted it through their clinics. Basically it's a grip that aligns the pistol with your eye, rather than the center line of your extended forearm.

The center of the backstrap wrests in the transition between the thenar (ie. fatty mound at the base of your thumb) and the palm. And this orientation allows you to use either the forward or rear transition of the first knuckle of your trigger finger to pull the trigger.
Thanks.
This is the technique I was taught 30some years ago.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Anonymous wrote:Hate to sound ignorant, but what is the "Zin's grip"?
Here is an older version of the AMU manual with what is a pretty close description of the grip. Scroll down a ways
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter1.htm
The main thing is to get the 45's MSH tight to the base of the palm in that middle major crease between the thumb ham and the pinky side ham.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Weird.....I was taught to grip my Gold Cup this way 38 years ago; nobody said
it was a Brian Zins grip back then.

Tony G
2650 Plus

Zins Grip

Post by 2650 Plus »

Back in the 1960's I designed and used the two buckle sling. I never considered trying to patent the design because I wanted it to be available to any shooter that wanted to use it. I,ve used this same grip starting in the 1950,s as did most of the shooters I competed against during that time period. That does not , in any way detract from Brian Zins popularizing the grip, and making it a part of our shooting knowledge. After all who would commit to using it if it were simply called the Grip. Take a close look at the grip Bill Blankenship used many years ago to win five national championships and the world championship with center fire. I doubt if anyone can find any difference in his grio and the Zins grip . But , who cares ? The point is what works and and how many shooters are exposed to the knowledge. Good Shooting Bill Horton
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

I think that the term Zin's Grip comes from the BE community. When I'd attended a clinic held by Brian and Andy Moody, they laughed about the name. Brian wasn't trying to promote that he'd invented the grip. It's just the type of grip that they advocate.

But I do think that it's different from the AMU grip. I use the AMU grip and the ZG that I was shown was rotated towards the thumb a bit more.
sciguy191

Post by sciguy191 »

solomon grundy wrote:
But I do think that it's different from the AMU grip. I use the AMU grip and the ZG that I was shown was rotated towards the thumb a bit more.
My understanding of B.Z's grip, which could certainly be wrong, is that one places the "life line" of their hand along the back strap of the pistol. In order to do this I must wrap the thumb side of my hand farther ahead than with what I understand as the AMU grip. Your whole thumb side ham is to the left side of the back strap for a right handed shooter.

Hugh