I load my pellets with a tweezer

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
miachidrnhosp

Post by miachidrnhosp »

I don't like to handle lead pellets with my fingers. I pick up and load my pellets with a tweezer. I then push the pellet into port with flat side end of the tweezer.

Am I an oddity here?

I don't see anyone at the match doing it.

Am I the few who are "macho" enough to use a tweezer?
Thomasville

Post by Thomasville »

"Macho" enough to use a tweezer?

Now, that takes some gut in a real match.
MSC

Post by MSC »

By chance do you eat candy bars on a plate, with a knife and fork? (A-la George Costanza) LOL : )

In all seriousness, I think it's a bit much to be that concerned about the lead. A thorough hand-washing after a match or practice session should suffice. If however it helps you in the loading process, in addition, then you might have something. I've had more than one AP that had a tricky loading port for my big fingers!
Oz

Post by Oz »

The only way you're going to get significant amounts of lead into your system from shooting sports is going to be via the lead used in primers for bullets. Inhaling the smoke from firing a round will make it into your blood stream.

The lead "dust" from the handling of lead pellets is too heavy to be of any concern. It won't be absorbed through your skin. Short of you sucking on each pellet before putting them into your pistol, or licking your fingers clean after you're done handling your pellets, you have _nothing_ to worry about from lead pellets.

Oz
Oz

Post by Oz »

BTW-If this is really more of a neurosis, or cleanliness issue regarding the handling of pellets, maybe use a set of those finger condoms used by postal workers? The tweezers just sound so tedious and i would be concerned about marring the pellet surface...

Just my 2¢.

Oz
chris bauer

Post by chris bauer »

I use a smooth tip tweezer for my super sized fingers.

I think it is a very easy way to load the pellet, while avoiding coating your finger with lead. There are so many times I simply forgot to wash my hands and go straight to finger handling my meal !
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

chris bauer wrote:I use a smooth tip tweezer for my super sized fingers.

I think it is a very easy way to load the pellet, while avoiding coating your finger with lead. There are so many times I simply forgot to wash my hands and go straight to finger handling my meal !
In that case you'd be better off re-learning basic hygeine than using tweezers. If you always wash your hands after shooting - like after going to the bathroom it becomes a natural habit that you won't forget.

As others mentioned, lead pellets pose no health risk if you use common sense.

But if you and the poster above prefer tweezers, that's cool. Just don't put them back in the wifes needlework bag, or your first aid kit ;)

Rob.
Rover

Post by Rover »

What other odd actions do you perform with your tweezers to ease your concerns with self-pollution?
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

1. I have seen much stranger phobias/behaviors on the line

2. If it makes you feel better about your shooting, and helps you focus on the fundamentals (focus on front sight, align sights, squeeze smoothly) then keep doing it.

Bottom line is this: it doesn't matter if it is "true" or "false" what matters is do *you* believe it . . .
LeLongCarabine

tweezers

Post by LeLongCarabine »

i bet he has the best shaped eye brows in the sport lol ( sorry couldnt resist )
Ricardo

Lead

Post by Ricardo »

Just to clarify: lead metal is itself not harmful; it is lead ions, from lead salts, that damage the delicate nervous system. Ingesting lead orally will convert it to ionized lead due to the action of stomach acid, but lead particles are essentially huge when faced with the awesome barrier of several layers of dead skin cells. Healthy skin is good. If you chew your hangnails or have abrasions, rashes, etc., then the barrier is compromised and a glove might be in order. Or tweezers. Actually, just call them forceps and it will sound more technical and manly.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My club runs a "Ladies Day" every year to introduce women to the shooting sports. I usually teach air pistol. One thing I've discovered is that women with long fingernails frequently have a hard time picking up pellets, and an even harder time loading them into some pistols correctly. I will have to remember to bring some plastic tweezers next year.
jak10x1

Post by jak10x1 »

When you get older and get arthritis in your thumb and fingers, sometimes the ONLY way that you can pick up pellets is with tweezers. John
El Loco

Re: I load my pellets with a tweezer

Post by El Loco »

miachidrnhosp wrote: I don't like to handle lead pellets with my fingers. I pick up and load my pellets with a tweezer. I then push the pellet into port with flat side end of the tweezer.
This is a joke? No?....
miachidrnhosp wrote: Am I an oddity here?
Pretty much so, yes.
miachidrnhosp wrote: I don't see anyone at the match doing it.
Of course not!

Please, Mr. "mia....hospitalized", don't do this any more. Just don't do this at the range.
It's simply too bizarre behavior.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Loco El Loco, I don't know what is so bizarre with this practice.

I think had the original poster said that he loads with a "PELLET FORCEP" or better yet, a "PELLET CLAMP", everyone will be clamoring that is just brilliant !!

Now, what is so strange with a "PELLET CLAMP" ?

In fact, I think it will be a big sell on the air pistol market. Just make some thick boned forceps, stamped on them "PELLET CLAMP", I am sure those macho instrument will sell very well !!

Post by Guest »

whens i'z a kid, we wood karry them there peelets in ours moufs

ain't hertz us'en none
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Yeah, you can just spread a rumor that finger oils have a detrimental effect on pellet accuracy, and these will sell like hotcakes.
jak10x1

pellets

Post by jak10x1 »

Oil on one side probably would.

John
Rover

Post by Rover »

That's the spirit!
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Yep, I see it now, the Pilkguns Pellet Plucker or maybe Placer. One more bit of useless kit that will reach mythological proportionas of necessary gear, like pellet sizers and Turbo Comps, or just the need to test air pistols pellets at all.

If I had more con artist in me, I could make a mint.