FAS SP 602

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
customs954

FAS SP 602

Post by customs954 »

Looking at purchasing a FAS SP602. Anyone have any feedback on these pistols. This one is lightly used and is the FAS model not the FAS-DOMINO.The mags load from the top. Any issues with function on these. What ammo feeds well. I usualyy have eley pistol target(yellow box) CCI std and fiocchi on hand. How do these guns point and feel as opposed to say Hammerli 208 which I find too light on the front? Are they reliable and can you find parts from FAS?
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

I brought a Domino 602 a few months back and I'm quite happy with it.

Mine was an early Domino 602 serial # in the 3000 range, so far having almost none of the ammo feeding problem others having, I have shot Win. T22, Federal, CCI and lapua ammo all function well, except for the Lapua Super Club not always able to cycle the action. However a club mate of mine have the same pistol but do experience FTF from time to time, not sure whats the cause.

I find this pistol very well balance, just the right front heavy feel to my liking, when it come to parts, I've ordered parts such as springs, recoil buffer etc. directly from FAS, they still have some in stock but not all, as for spare mag. I've tried a friends Britarm mag. and it worked in my 602. Since Westlake still in business making UK legal versions of Britarm pistol, I suppose you can order extra mag from them if you have trouble with the mags come with the gun.

Some of the very early pistols have very tight chambers, i guess thats the reason this pistol being branded as ammo sensitive, mine do not seems to be the case.

I would imagine parts for the 208 will be harder to find and the pistol will cost more than double of the 602. like I said so far I'm please with mine.

Tony
customs954

Fas SP 602

Post by customs954 »

thanks for the reply Tony, apprecuate the input, did you contact FAS on the internet regrads parts?

Regards

Rob

FAS 602

Post by Guest »

Liked my FAS very much, no feed or function problems other than the firing pins would peen over and not allow a hit on the primer. I had a machinist friend make one from titanium and had no other issues.
I always thought the FAS pointed like my Pardini.
Hope this helps.
Tony C.

SP 602

Post by Tony C. »

Yes, I order parts directly from factory thru thier web site:

www.dominoguns.com

They take payments via paypal.

Since you're in BC, you may also try gunsnthings in Alberta, he used have some FAS/Domino parts, but looks like the web site haven't been updated for sometime.

I brought mine here in Ontario from a dealer at gunshow for $500 with 2 mags and owners manual but comes in LH grip, sold the grip to a southpaw shooter, located a RH grip, all told spend less than $550.

Awhile back, there's a 602 for sale @ Target Shooting Canada site, asking $850 with 4 mags, seems a little high, but going rate for 602 mag are $100 each so its not completely out of line. Also right now there is a SP 607 for sale on the same site, have a look at that one as well.

BTW I think Domino changed its name to FAS in the early 1980s, so the 602 you're looking must be manfacture sometime after. Hope this help.

Regards

Tony
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

I bought my FAS 602 second hand 12 mths ago. Had lots of issue with misfires and reliability of ammo. Turned out to be 2 things.

1. It hates waxy ammo. Federal and CCI go through it like a dream.
2. It likes a well lubricated/smooth magazine.

I was having all sorts of feed issues before I noticed that the magazine was a tad sticky. So before each shoot I spray the mags with WD40 and pad off the excess. I can't remember the last time I had a misfire :)

Cheers

David
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

As above. Also, I've posted about FAS 607 feed problems before. The overall length of the round proved to be important - the shorter the better. Fiocchi is 100% reliable in mine.
customs954

Fas 602

Post by customs954 »

Thank you to all who responded to my querry. Very kind of you and appreciated. Shooters are the best.

Rob
cleantarget10x

FAS 602

Post by cleantarget10x »

The Domino/FAS pistols are very good pistols. With the possible exception of the new Morini .22's, the FAS has one of the lowest bore lines. This is one of the reasons they were popular as rapid fire pistols. I owned all three of the versions and currently have a 901 (a newer 601), and a 602. If you're using the pistol as a Std Pistol it's an excellent choice. If you're wanting the 602 as a Conventional BE pistol then mounting a scope is an issue.
There are usually feeding issues with the .22 LR pistols, as others have mentioned. Most of these issues are a result of the mag follower not moving the rounds up fast enough to get in front of the bolt. A cure I discovered many yrs ago was to order several Ruger MKII magazine springs and shorten them accordingly. Initially cut the Ruger spring too long and keep shortening it until you can easily load five rds in the FAS mag. The Ruger coil spring fits the FAS mags and uses a slightly larger gauge wire. This extra ummph for the mag follower gets the next round in the mag into proper loading position quicker than the factory spring.
Hope this helps.
On another note, I'd like to trade or sell the rapid fire FAS 901.
Roddy
mister G

Post by mister G »

Two comments ...

the magazine followers do indeed get gummed up with grease from ammunition, preventing them from getting that round up in front of the bolt. the simple solution is to disassemble them once every month or two and clean the followers with carburetor cleaner or other parts cleaner. keep 'em lubed thereafter.

mounting a red dot hasn't been a problem for me. a single ring can be mounted FORWARD of the magazine well to hold the scope. do not use the optional heavy barrel shroud as the total weight makes the pistol nose-heavy.

btw, my Domino s/n 4xxx was purchased new from the importer in 1980.
LukeP

Fas 602 recoil spring.

Post by LukeP »

Any advice to substitute Fas 602 recoil spring?
Factory ones is about 10$ each and get shorter in few weeks, where i can find a substitute with better quality and stronger power?

Thank you,
LukeP.
mister G

Re: Fas 602 recoil spring.

Post by mister G »

LukeP wrote:Any advice to substitute Fas 602 recoil spring?
Factory ones is about 10$ each and get shorter in few weeks, where i can find a substitute with better quality and stronger power? Thank you,
LukeP.
Be careful what you wish for. Better quality, stronger power? If the factory recoil spring works, don't replace it. A "stronger" spring may adversely affect cartridge feeding and bolt movement. My 29-year old 602 has never needed a replacement spring, although I keep one in my parts kit.

If you must have another, there is the factory right in Italy and, in the USA, Wolff springs are well known, knowledgeable and reliable.
Crete

Re: FAS SP 602

Post by Crete »

I wish to take apart the FAS SP 602 magazine, for cleaning and changing the follower or the spring, but I am not sure how to proceed.

Any pointers?

There is a rectangular cross-slot bar located near the base of the magazine, that seems stuck or rusty.
How is it dislodged?
Pushed through?

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
E996D93B-0D7D-4C2E-B837-38EA9D82FC4A.jpeg
AEF69F15-E011-4D0F-AC10-67F6785E586A.jpeg