New to this forum, need Browning Buckmark advice

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rich56

New to this forum, need Browning Buckmark advice

Post by rich56 »

Have a Buckmark 5.5. I'm tired of the long hard trigger pull. What to do. Also will switching to a 7 inch barrel from 5.5 help steady my hold? Also where can I get those full target grips?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

http://www.jnb.com/~funggrip/buckmark.html

Randall Fung makes target grips for the Buckmark.

As far as I know there are no drop in trigger kits to improve the trigger like the Volquartsen for the Ruger. What you probably need is a good bullseye gunsmith. As far as whether the 7 inch barrel will do anything for you. It depends. It might but it also might make it muzzle heavy and cause you to start dropping your hand and shooting low. A lot of people find that weight on the barrel helps stabilize the barrel and return to the center quickly. It is more of a help in timed and rapid fire. Why don't you try adding some temporary weight to the end of your barrel and see if you get more stable in the process before you change out the barrel? Isabel
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Sell it!

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but you can do much better. Buckmarks are used as our club guns. Nasty! No doubt I will now be flamed...

Increasing the sight radius will make an unsteady hold seem much worse and just increase your dissatisfaction. A muzzle weight, however, might help, but no guarantees - it might make things worse if lack of strength is the problem.

Rather than change to a longer barrel in hope, I suggest you widen your search and try many different pistols, particularly looking for a better trigger (which won't be hard to find!).
rich56

BrowningBuckmark trigger

Post by rich56 »

Thanks to all advise. About getting new gun, any suggestions? Anything worthwhile for under lets say $800? How about a Marvel .22 upper for my .45?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I think a mavel is a very good way to go. It will improve your 45 scores and would be within your price range. I would get a dedicated frame for it though as you may find you want the trigger pull a little lighter than what is required by the regs on your .45. The magazines for the conversion can be a little tricky. Make sure you get good ones or you will have a problem with alabis. Isabel
Rover

Post by Rover »

There is lot to be said for the Marvel, such as price, accuracy, and uniformity with the .45. I know personally one world class shooter using one and I've tried his. Very nice! The trigger will not compare with a match .22, though.

You could get a used (preferable to the new) High Standard. A S&W Model 41 is the classic bullseye pistol, or you could get a Pardini, all used for less than your $800 limit.
clark2245

Post by clark2245 »

For Bullseye use I agree with the Marvel conversion as a good option. It will take you as far as you are capable of going. No need at all to have a dedicated frame however, especially if cost is a factor. That also kind of defeats the purpose of having the same grip and trigger across both guns if you lighten up the trigger on the 22 part. The heavier trigger might hurt your 22 scores at first but will likely end up helping your 45 and overall scores after a while as you will get accustomed to it before long. I also put the same model dot sight on both so there is no change there either and then added some weight to the Marvel to make it more the same feel as a 1911. I don't believe you can currently get the steel sight rail that Rock River Arms made but some lead stick on weights from a tire shop are an option for increasing the weight if you want. Not as nice looking but they do work! Contact Marvel Precision to ask about the choices in mags and anything else you might have questions about. You can order directly from them also if you like. They are a small shop but if they are out when you call leave a message and they will get back to you.
www.marvelprecision.com

Clark
gb6491

Post by gb6491 »

rich56 wrote:Have a Buckmark 5.5. I'm tired of the long hard trigger pull. What to do. Also will switching to a 7 inch barrel from 5.5 help steady my hold? Also where can I get those full target grips?
To improve the BM trigger try the "Heggis Flip": http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... 356&page=4
Also see this thread, http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=212717, for a lot of information on the BM (to include grips, trigger overtravel screw, and more).
Regards,
Greg
mstuhr

Post by mstuhr »

Howdy,
I had a GSP for a year and now a Pardini and this old Buckmark gives up little if anything to them.
It seems my scores have more to do with how I shoot than what I shoot. (with in reason)
Good luck with what ever you choose.
Mike

Post by Guest »

The Unit 1 22 conversion units from Marvel Precision seem to have some design changes that make them more reliable. Plus the extractor is now twice as wide as the origional ones which is probably due to the old ones breaking through the barrel at the extractor notch. Mine fired about 20K rounds before it broke through.

I had my old one rebuilt by Marvel for free even though it was almost 5 years old and I bought a new one. I've had the best reliability with the poly mags from Advantage Arms - they're $25 compared to the steel mags around $60??. I only have one Marvel poly mag, it won't feed the last round, I could have sent it back but I'm so grateful they rebuilt my old U1 I didn't.

If you bought a second sear spring you could bend the left leaf back a tad to lighten the trigger pull and mark it for the 22, use the origional for the 45.
Another way to lighten the trigger is to use a 18-19 mainspring for the 22 - the standard weight mainspring for Colt 45 is 23lbs.

I like 1911's so I've worked my triggers to get a "match" trigger pull.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

mstuhr wrote:Image
Howdy,
I had a GSP for a year and now a Pardini and this old Buckmark gives up little if anything to them.
It seems my scores have more to do with how I shoot than what I shoot. (with in reason)
Mike
I like the Buckmark, they're surpirisingly ergonomic pistols.

Post by Guest »

mstuhr wrote:Image
Howdy,
Mike
Who makes those grips? Thank you.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:..Who makes those grips? Thank you.
Nill
http://www.nill-grips.com/News_88.html
http://mactec-militaryarms.com/nill_grips.html