New to Bullseye, need an Ultradot

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

ssauer2004

New to Bullseye, need an Ultradot

Post by ssauer2004 »

I recently purchased a Walther GSP Expert. I will be comepting in a 50ft indoor bullseye pistol league. The pistol will never be shot outside. Which Ultradot sights are you guys using for indoor bullseye? I looked at the Ultradot 1" and also the Ultradot Matchdot. I guess the Matchdot has mutiple dot settings as far as size goes. Do you need all of those sizes? Should I go for a 30mm or a 1"?
Rover

Post by Rover »

How about iron sights?
jackh

Post by jackh »

Consider your open sight for sure. But if you are going to use a dot, on a 22, the 1" models are all you need. I do suggest the 1" 4 dot model on a 22 because you can experiment with dot sizes and pick one size to stay with. I, like others, like the 8 minute dot in the 4 dot. Some people like the tiny dot. Your choice. The Matchdot 30mm tube is huge on a 22. The dot size choices are good, but the 30 mm size is just too big. The multi dots are not in my opinion meant to be switched often. I have yet to see a 4 dot or match dot keep zero between sizes. However picking a size you like to shoot regularly with is a great option.
ssauer2004

Post by ssauer2004 »

I actually wanted to do a lot with the open sights. I was told by multiple team members that everyone in the league uses red dot sights. They advised me to get use to shooting with that form the get go because I would eventually end up there anyway.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

ssauer2004 wrote:I actually wanted to do a lot with the open sights. I was told by multiple team members that everyone in the league uses red dot sights. They advised me to get use to shooting with that form the get go because I would eventually end up there anyway.
the problem with indoor ranges is that a lot of them are not well lit. What I could see just fine in my 20's I now cannot. At two out of three indoor ranges I find it almost impossible to shoot with iron sights unless both the targets and above the sights are well lit. As far as the ultradot goes the only place where any of them seem to be better than the others is outdoors where you need more settings and really need to crank them up in order to see the dot at times. Indoors any of them should be fine. It is a matter of personal preference. Isabel.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"I actually wanted to do a lot with the open sights. I was told by multiple team members that everyone in the league uses red dot sights. They advised me to get use to shooting with that form the get go because I would eventually end up there anyway."

That's OK if that is all you ever do, but all International pistol is iron sights.

Also, the red dot sights are not totally reliable. You will not see a fabulous leap in score (if any) going from iron to red dots.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

If you shoot league matches and don't plan on shooting International either ultradot would be fine.
I spent the $$ on the matchdot and I really don't regret it.
I shoot both indoors and outdoors with it and I never yet used a dot above 4 min.
So with that said I could have gone with the 4 min 1" tube without an issue.
I don't see the need for the 30mm tube so 1" is fine.

If your really on the fence wait and talk it up with league shooters and they will most likely let you try out there gun.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I would suggest that you start off with iron sights if you have good enough eyesight. I think that it is easier to transition from irons to a red dot than the other way around.

If you are fairly young, you may want to shoot outdoors sometime and try to get your Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge, or shoot International Air, Free or Standard Pistol. All these disciplines are restricted to iron sights.

If you are bound and determined to use a red dot, then I'd go with the 1" Ultra Dot. I use the 30 mm dots on hunting pistols and an AR-15, but I like the single dot one inch tubes on my bullseye pistols. It really is personal preference, because there are some really fine high master bullseye shooters who shoot with a 30 mm dot. I just find that the 1" tube helps me recover quicker in rapid fire and seems easier to keep the dot centered in the tube.
Rover

Post by Rover »

6string

Post by 6string »

I would start off with iron sights, especially for indoor gallery course. USAMU won't even let their new shooters use anything but iron sights until they have the fundamentals down.
Walther GSP expert is a great gun.
Enjoy!!
tenex

Post by tenex »

I'm a big fan of the plain 1" Ultradot. For me the added complexity and weight of the multiple dot versions is not worth the benefit. I'm also concerned about the multi-dot holding zero.

I also like to shoot iron sights, but I can sympathize with the whole vision thing. I really have to struggle with equipment & technique to really see irons indoors. If they went to optical sights for air pistol I wouldn't cry...

Steve.
ssauer2004

Post by ssauer2004 »

I picked up a 1" from Larry's the other day. I mounted it on the Walther and sighted it in. I really enjoy it.
golfer47

Post by golfer47 »

I purchased the 1" from Champions choice, mounted it on my walther gsp expert and I love it. I was having problems seeing with the iron sights because of my old eyes (bifocal glasses caused me to tilt my head to see).I feel like a young shooter again with the ultradot.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

The choices in rings is a LOT better and a LOT less expensive in choosing 1 inchers instead of 30mm.

Later

Mike
Wichita KS
TonyT

Re: New to Bullseye, need an Ultradot

Post by TonyT »

ssauer2004 wrote:I recently purchased a Walther GSP Expert. I will be comepting in a 50ft indoor bullseye pistol league. The pistol will never be shot outside. Which Ultradot sights are you guys using for indoor bullseye? I looked at the Ultradot 1" and also the Ultradot Matchdot. I guess the Matchdot has mutiple dot settings as far as size goes. Do you need all of those sizes? Should I go for a 30mm or a 1"?
I used an old Tasco ProPoint 2 Big Dot version. The dot almost covered the black at 50 ft. so if the shot went off while the dot was in the black you were almost guaranteed a 10 (sometimes a 9). That unit had a 30mm tube and the 30mm UD with the 4 dot sizes would also provide you a similar sight picture.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

un less you're an expert shooter,(275 plus) I'd go for a dot. To be competitive with the majority of shooters who also use dots. Don't however disregard irons... air pistol practice is super valuable to bullseye gallery. Both will make you more versatile and you'll get more satisfaction from your results