How fast are your .45s?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Dogchaser

How fast are your .45s?

Post by Dogchaser »

I checked some of mine yesterday and my 4.2 of WW231 and a cast 200SWC loads were just over 710 fps and 4.6 of WW231 were around 760. This was at 5000 ft elevation.

Both loads had low SD and ES and I really couldn't see much difference in accuracy.

Is there a sweet spot for 200 cast SWC? What do you "good guys" run?

BTW I really shoot poorly from a bench. Any one else have bench shooting problems?
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Trouble off the bench ? I would expect the pistol to be very still so the problem must be shot execution or sight allignment. Could you be too cautious and essentially going blind before the shot is fired ? If you are seeing a disturbance in stillness just before the shot is fired this would probably indicate errors in trigger manipulation. You should try to execute the shot in the same manner as you would when firing at a range. This is a tough one fron long distance, I hope you can find something in this that will help. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

Bill, the groups off the bench are about the same from the bench or offhand. The best groups were 2-2.5 inches at 50 yards, some groups were embarrassing.

How fast are your loads Bill? You shoot 100+ points higher than me, I'm all ears when you post something.
jackh

Post by jackh »

From a few years ago exchange on bullseye-L:

At 10:26 PM 6/3/03 -0700, Jack H wrote:
Is there any such thing as a "sweet spot" velocity for
certain type bullets to settle in to tight groups?

for the 200gr LSWC?
700-750 FPS
the 185 Star HP?
750-800 FPS
the 185 Nosler JHP?
780-820 FPS

Also if you build a load that gives a certain velocity
with one powder, and match the velocity with another
powder, all else being the same, would they give
similar results group wise? Why? why not?

Not necessarily, although, they could. It is not all about velocity. It is all about the barrel and the gun! More about the barrel. Even though you have achieved the same velocity, it is entirely possible that the pressure curves are not the same, or even the peak pressure curves. Now, it is possible if the 2 powders that you have chosen are very similar in burning rate. Like BE and Titegroup, for example. Or, Titegroup and S1000; or Clays, AAN100 or VVN310. Then it is possible that even the same powder charge will produce exactly the same results.
Regards,
Neil
NSK

On bench shooting there is necessary technique to learn that works best just as in offhand. My earliest shooting was rifle benchrest. So that technique transferred real well to pistol resting.
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

That's the kind of info I was looking for.

The loads I have been using are just what other shooters in my club in FL used, I never got serious about testing them, I just worked on technique.

I've also been trying to shoot rifles off the bench. Like you say, there is a definite skill to bench shooting once you have a fairly accurate gun.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I shoot the 185 gr. Starv LSWCHP with 3.8 gr. HS-700X and Rem 2.5 for ca 715 fps - a very accurate and mild load. I have also used the same weight of VV N-310 for ca. 780 fps but decided to use the load with lesser recoil.
2650 Plus

45 loads

Post by 2650 Plus »

I prefer to shoot the short line with federal brass, 2.8 grs of hi score 700 and the sieara 185 gr jacketed semi wad cutter. Same set up for the long line with ,2 tenths more powder. Consistant 2 in groups of ten shots out of ransome rest at fifty yards. almost the same with the short line load. I only shoot lead if required by range rules. velocity is 710 fps with the short line load and 740 with the slow fire concoction. Good Shoting Bill Horton