What can I expect from Clark long slide .45

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

southerncomforthemi

Post by southerncomforthemi »

Hi...i am going to purchase a Clark long slide smithed by Jim Clark Sr in about 1970.

It was re-barreled and checked in 1986 and then only used lightly.

Anybody shoot one of these what should I expect in terms of accuracy and reliability.

I pan on using it along with my S&W 41 for 2700 matches.

So any suggestions on loads, mods, and tips etc.

Thanks..
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I think you will fine that it is pretty heavy and balanced towards barrel end. Might be difficult to get it to work correctly with a side mounted dot. Are you planning on shooting with iron sights? Accuracy should be fine as long as the trigger is good. A friend has one I believe and I just sent him an e mail to ask what he liked about it as opposed to disliked. I know he is not using it anymore for bullseye. He prefers his Rock River I believe. Isabel
Bull Shoals

Post by Bull Shoals »

Have used Clark hardball and bullseye pistols since 1968. Cherish it, care for it and it will last a lifetime. Excellent accuracy, on order of 1 1/2" to 2" Ransom est at 50 yds new.Long slide has more mass (weight) at the muzzle and will "hang" better. Also the 1" longer slide will give a little more sight radius. If wanting a scope/reddot mount, send it to Clark's in La. and he can put a frame mounted mount on the frame.The guys in the shop are still good. Get it and enjoy.
2650 Plus

Clark long slide

Post by 2650 Plus »

Neve owned or shot one but Jims guns were as good as one could buy. I expect you will find it to be very accurate but a little touchy as to functioning unless you have a strong grip. Good Luck And good Shooting Bill Horton
Magnumite

Clark Bullseye High Standard

Post by Magnumite »

I have an older Clark HS with the custom barrel and full rib, open sight pistol, Clark stippling, etc.

Anyway, it hangs well, is accurate and really doesn't show its real stuff until you shoot timed and rapid fire. Then you can feel its thoroughbred nature. You have to shoot it to feel it.

I got a grooved Nowlin barrel for to shoot optics and the feel is different with that set up.
denny

Re: What can I expect from Clark long slide .45

Post by denny »

southerncomforthemi wrote:Hi...i am going to purchase a Clark long slide smithed by Jim Clark Sr in about 1970.

It was re-barreled and checked in 1986 and then only used lightly.

Anybody shoot one of these what should I expect in terms of accuracy and reliability.

I pan on using it along with my S&W 41 for 2700 matches.

So any suggestions on loads, mods, and tips etc.

Thanks..
Great gun!!!!!! Have won many matches with one !!! Mine was built in 1974!!!!
Dr. P. Anderson

Post by Dr. P. Anderson »

Having owned four Clark Sr bullseye pistols, I can attest to the fine pistol-smithing and superb accuracy of all Clark Sr pistols. The long-slide is particularly nice, but for some the weight of the pistol is a bit much.

I have also found the Colt 70 series National Match, to be an excellent choice for the serious bullseye shooter.

One must remember, colts were produced on older machinery of that day, whereas modern 1911's, are being produced on multiple axis CNC machines. There is no comparison when it come to the accuracy of a pistol with such close tolerances.

For many, the mystique of owning a Clark Sr pistol, smithed on a 70 series Colt, is as good as it gets. I cannot disagree, but for shear accurac Kimber is at the top of my list of choices.[/b][/i]