Green Dot Sight

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Matt Clemens

Green Dot Sight

Post by Matt Clemens »

Can anyone recommend a good green dot sight? I cannot find the red dot in bright light. I'm color blind and wonder if a green dot might work better. I have the same trouble with a red laser on my home defense hardware. A green laser, however, I can pick out in bright light with no problem.
CR10XGuest

Post by CR10XGuest »

Dave Salyer used to have them made in China and sold under the Salyer name. I have an old one without adjustment covers, but otherwise OK. The Green dot works really great indoors (no streaking like the red). Contact Dave on the bullseye list to see if he has anymore.

Cecil
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

You can get a polarizing filter for the red dot if you have an ultra dot. I know that Larry's guns carries them. Maybe one of those would help you see the red dot better? I know that they help me a lot especially outdoors on the bright sunny days we have here in the Rocky Mountain west. Isabel.

http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Pola ... raDot.aspx
Matt Clemens

Post by Matt Clemens »

Isabel, thanks for the thought. I do have a polarizing filter on my Ultradot (filter from Larry's) and it does not help. My problem seems to be lack of sensitivity to the red dot. In a dark room and the brightness turned way up (fresh battery installed), I can just barely make out the red dot.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Matt, maybe a more effective way to go would be either iron sights or a scope with a cross hair? In addition have you tried looking at the dot through several sets of different colored glasses such as amber, vermillion, dark green, blue etc to see if that improves your ability to see the dot? Isabel

Post by Guest »

The pistol, a 1911, does not have provision for iron sights. I could get my local smith to change that, though.

I've tried amber and brown lenses to no avail.
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

Doc Young and some other folks seem to do allright with a 1X Target Dot Reticle scope . . .

Steve
Matt Clemens

Post by Matt Clemens »

Cecil, I exchanged e-mails with Dave Salyer. He has lost his contacts in China and no longer offers the green dot sight. Thanks for putting me on to him in any case. I like knowing about good smiths.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Dave Salyer is one heck of a fine gentleman. I wish I lived closer so I could shoot with him and get him to work on my guns. I had many nice visits with him at Camp Perry last year and look forward to seeing him again there this year. Isabel
CR10XGuest

Post by CR10XGuest »

Matt:

Seeing as how no one else could come up with any other alternative for you, please send your shipping address to

crhodesx_@_aol.com (remove underlines)

and I'll send the dot to you (no charge). Like I said, its used and w/o adjustment covers (UltraDot caps will work), but you are welcome to it.

I'll be at Canton and Perry as well.

Cecil
Matt Clemens

Post by Matt Clemens »

Cecil, that is incredibly generous of you! Wow.

PM sent with shipping address.
Matt Clemens

Post by Matt Clemens »

Cecil, as it turns out, I will be attending the SAFS for pistol on July 13. I plan to stay overnight the 13th and leave after looking around on the morning of the 14th. Will you be at Perry that early?
CR10XGuest

Post by CR10XGuest »

Matt:

My apologies, I found the dot sight and my memory was at fault. The one I have left has a green tinted lens and a red dot. Sorry. BUT, I'll still send it to you to see if the green tint background will help.

By the way, I do believe that there are some dot sights out there that have green LED's.

Cecil
Matt Clemens

Post by Matt Clemens »

Cecil, I received the Salyer dot scope today. It's cloudy and raining here, so I can't check dot visibility in bright sunlight. However, the dot is easily visible even on the lowest setting in my office. Looking thru the scope at a bright light, I can easily see the dot if I go to a higher setting.

Many, many thanks. I owe you one.
CR10XGuest

Post by CR10XGuest »

You're welcome, just pay it forward.
Good Shooting and see you all at Perry sometime.
Cecil
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Cheaper than dirt has a green dot listed in their latest catalog. Very little information is provided but they mention windage and elevation adjustments. I have no experience with this item so please dont take this note as a recomendation. Good Shooting Bill Horton