What .45 Target Ammo Do You Suggest?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

What .45 Target Ammo Do You Suggest?

Post by Guest »

My Springfield 1911 is in the shop, so I haven't had a chance to take it for a spin. I have a 50-round box of Federal 185 grain that I may run through it to see how the feeding process goes.

I do not have a reloader, so what retail ammo do you recommend? I've bought stuff from Champions Choice in the past, but do you prefer other companies and if so, who are they?

Aside from 185 grain, do you think 200 grain is better?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I think you will get better prices and be able to shoot more if you go with NSK. http://www.nsksales.com/ I do my own reloading for .45 but have used his 9mm ammo and his .38 for revolver and both are very good. I am thinking about buying my long line loads from him for the .45 and just reloading for the short line and for practice ammo.

Isabel
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

+1 on NSK. Neil's ammo is a good deal, and he'll take your brass in exchange for discounts.

I've been happy w/ Mastercast's remanufactured ammo as well ( mastercast.net ), but this has mostly been their 38spl.

For cheaper practice ammo, I've used WWB or Magtech. These aren't 'match grade', but they're better than you might expect.

But any longer I load whenever I can and discriminate on the basis of the brass and other components that I use (e.g. for matches vs training).
steyrlp10

Post by steyrlp10 »

Thanks much for your input!
Misny

Post by Misny »

I'm a big fan of Zero bullets and ammo. They are easy to deal with and make a quality product. Their ammo and bullets are tested by a former national champion and record holder. You can exchange brass for a better price on their loaded ammo. I would recommend the R-703 reloaded .45 ACP ammo. You can check them out an buy their ammo at www.rozedist.com
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Funny you should mention Zero Bullets, Misny. I just met a guy sponsored by Zero Bullets at the PSA Shootout {Steel match in PA}. Their ammo and bullets do look good.
Isabel1130

zero bullets

Post by Isabel1130 »

I believe that NSK uses Zero bullets in his 185g JHP ammo which is what I prefer for the long line in Bullseye. For the SWC lead bullets I don't know what he uses but he tests everything and uses only what he finds yield excellent results in a Ransom rest.
steyrlp10

Post by steyrlp10 »

Better still -- another place to compare with -- much thanks again!
Misny

Post by Misny »

Freepistol wrote:Funny you should mention Zero Bullets, Misny. I just met a guy sponsored by Zero Bullets at the PSA Shootout {Steel match in PA}. Their ammo and bullets do look good.
Jim Collins does a lot of Zero's tests. He is the first shooter to shoot 1500 out of a possible 1500 in PPC revolver competition. He is also a member of the 2650 club in bullseye pistol shooting. I saw some of his machine rests groups at Perry. They were quite impressive.
2650 Plus

Ammo ?

Post by 2650 Plus »

Please don't think I'm just being a smart axx. I have a sign posted over my loading bench that says " Ask it what it likes " I'm trying to recommend test, test , test. Your pistol will let you know what it likes. Good Shooting Bill Horton
jmmcbride

Post by jmmcbride »

Neil's typical lead bullets for his bullseye ammo are Zero #168 (185 gr. hollow point semi-wad cutters). He's had challenges getting components like everyone else - I just got some ammo from him that I ordered in Jan - he had ordered bullets in Dec, and just got them in a couple of weeks ago.

That said, "asking your gun what it likes" is absolutely correct. KC Crawford has just built me a new wad gun, and Neil helped choose us the barrel by trying multiple Kart barrels in a fixture he has set up. The gun will shoot 1 1/2" groups with Neil's ammo at 50 yds from a rest, but will shoot even tighter groups with Meister 178 gr flat based semi-wadcutters. Either is way better than I am, but at least I know whatever I'm seeing on the target is my issue, not the gun or ammo.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi, you know if you're looking for a target load I would ASSUME that you're going to target shoot. This usually entails practice. Therefore, I strongly suggest you learn to reload. You can buy more guns with the money you save...

Later

Mike
Wichita KS