Shakes during competition

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mass Shooter

Shakes during competition

Post by Mass Shooter »

When regular practicing my aim is comfortably steady, .... during a competitive match it's another story, score suffers 10-15 pts. and is frustrating.

I know it's all in the head, but what have you found to be sound training methods to curb the shakes during match shoots?

Regards
Isabel (as guest)

Post by Isabel (as guest) »

Shoot lots of matches. Try and make sure you eat at least an hour before you shoot. Do dry firing before the actual string whenever possible. Practice breathing exercises where you take the same number of breaths, let out the last one and then hold at the halfway point before you shoot. Try and figure out when your hold is the steadiest after you raise the gun and then time it before the targets turn in sustained fire so you neither pick up the gun too late (and feel rushed) or pick it up too early aned become shaky before the targets turn. You should shoot so many matches that you are slightly bored and tired (but not too tired) right before the start of the match. Also shooting a lot of matches means that you will have all of the external stuff down such as setting up your spotting scope, loading your magazines, inserting your ECI, taking your hearing protectors off and on to the point where they are automatic, and you are less distracted. At that point all you have to do is focus on your shooting. Lastly make your home or range training resemble an actual match as much as possible. and remember that all matches are practice for the next match. :-) Isabel
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

Isabel has covered it all.

Work hard during training and have fun during the match.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Visualize. Think of a calm, restful place (I use the lake from the film Excalibur). Draw calmness from it.

Have a mantra for the last seconds. "Sight alignment, press, shoot a 10" works.

And think positively. The subconscious mind responds to affirmative statements. If you think "Don't screw up", the subconscious hears "screw up". And obeys.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Thanks Isabel, Mike, Jack

Had a great practice recently and all I had on my mind was eliminating the "X" from the target. All positive thoughts as suggested. .... Appreciate reading and digesting your comments.

Sorta brings a question to mind; what's your typical B/E practice session like? Example: An hour or two or three? ..... a 300 match, a 900 match, all "Slowfire", all "Timed-Fire" all combinations?
Misny

Post by Misny »

Having a written shot plan and using it during matches helps one focus on the task at hand (the fundamentals) and suppresses extraneous thoughts about score, other shooters, match conditions, etc.
LeLongCarabine

Post by LeLongCarabine »

i was once told by an instructor when i had to prief people that when you get nervous making a speach or giving instructions when there is a lot of people around look at everyone and think of them being in the nude i use this when i'm shooting and i find it works for me just dont start giggling thats the down side
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

LeLongCarabine wrote:i was once told by an instructor when i had to prief people that when you get nervous making a speach or giving instructions when there is a lot of people around look at everyone and think of them being in the nude i use this when i'm shooting and i find it works for me just dont start giggling thats the down side
Jeesh, that would get me shaking even more with the ugly dudes I shoot with, .... but seriously thanks for the input.

Our B/E league has ended for the season but I'll continue practicing right through the summer months and keep thinking eliminating the "X" off the center.
Kscott_NZ

Post by Kscott_NZ »

LeLongCarabine wrote: look at everyone and think of them being in the nude
Yikes ! Hey, that's a mighty fine gun you have there. Thanks mate, so's the pistol in my hand !
oldtimer

shakes during competition

Post by oldtimer »

I was told I have benign essential tremmors which is made worse by stress. Check into this on the web. I started to take iron and vitamin B12 plus toprol 25mil twice a day and mirapex in the evening 0.5 mil about an hour before I shoot in a league. I had not been able to shoot for 5 years due to this condition. By chance do you have RLS they seem to go together for some reason, no one knows why. I am now able to shoot again thanks to taking this action. Good luck Jim