Daisy 853 modS

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Surveyor

Daisy 853 modS

Post by Surveyor »

Recently volunteered to lead a 4-Hss club. Also purchased two used 853's from the CMP for the older kids to use. No complaints on accuracy but the triggers are atrocious. I've read about the mods on pilkguns but have a couple questions.

Is this the best method to use or is there a better way to do it?

Since we are just starting out I don't think we will get into actual "competition" for sometime but I want that option available. Is pilkgun's mods legal?
Last edited by Surveyor on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The trigger mod is legal.

A good book to get is from the CMP
"Tom Johnson's Sporter Tips"
CMP Item ID 716 - cost is $2.00

The trigger mod is in this booklet also.
It is the same in each.

As far as I know this is the ONLY legal trigger mod for sporter guns.

You're only other option is to ditch the 853's and get the 888 or 887. These are built with that mod. In my opinion, you can safely get them down to about 2 lbs .... any lower and they will probably fail a "bump test".
Surveyor

Post by Surveyor »

Thanks for the reply Mr. Martin. I'll give it a go on one and see what happens. It would be nice to upgrade but I paid for these myself but for use by the club. The limited funding we have to start with we have to spread it out. NRA grant is in the works but taking longer than expected. Recent hot dog sales and donations have started to funnel in.

I've got 40 members signed up. Approx. 35 showed up to go through Hunter's Ed the first meeting. The other 5 already had their training completed. We'll have to spread them into manageable groups. I would think initial attrition of those who find it's not for them would cut that number down significantly. I just don't know but I am glad to see so much interest. Only "problem" is I've got the same amount, maybe more, wanting to take the place of any dropouts. With this many at one time and with limited equipment I'm afraid they may loose interest and drop. I just have to keep my fingers crossed.

I assume Rachael and Sarah are relatives? I'm sure you are proud. Congrats to both.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Your initial numbers are fantastic.

Make sure you have someone to help you so you don't burn YOURSELF out.

You might want to check in with any of your local high schools with JROTC programs .... they may have some rifles and/or gear to hlp you out.

That's what made my life easier ... the JROTC programs all across NM help each other out and just did the same for my 4-H program. We all host various matches and it's a good way for all the kids to mix & meet ... we're able to fill out both the scholastic side of the competitions as well as the club sides. The results you see here in NM reflect that sharing of time & gear .... it's really a team effort.
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

As Joel pointed out, the modification is legal. If you don't feel comfortable drilling the required hole in the rear of the trigger guard, you can purchase the part already drilled from Daisy. It is the piece that fits the 888 and 887. Same part just predrilled. I think the cost is around $2.50. Good to know it's not expensive or hard to get in case you screw up drilling the hole.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Never thought of that Sam ... good idea!

The 888 Trigger Housing is P/N 888-3 on the Daisy 888 exploded diagram.
My sheet shows the price at $2.50. That was last year, might be a bit higher

Here is the URL for the diagram:
http://www.vc4hss.com/Air_Rifle/approve ... _Parts.pdf
Surveyor

Post by Surveyor »

Good to know. Thanks.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Hey thanks guys.
For $2.50 ea I can do that to both my 953 and 853.
Drilling is something that I have trouble doing :-(