Red Dot Sights

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mike V

Red Dot Sights

Post by Mike V »

Hello,

I am just getting into Bullseye Shooting and am in the market to buy a Red Dot Sight. The gun shop I've been visiting is suggesting an 30mm UltraDot, but it’s more expensive than others I've seen.

I will buy it if it offers a "better chance" to shoot well [I realize no sight can overcome poor aim!], but want to hear other people's experiences. I understand the UltraDot is very well made and will last as long as I shoot.

Suggestions / Comments / ...

Thanks, Mike
Fred Mannis

Re: Red Dot Sights

Post by Fred Mannis »

Mike V wrote:Hello,

I am just getting into Bullseye Shooting and am in the market to buy a Red Dot Sight. The gun shop I've been visiting is suggesting an 30mm UltraDot, but it’s more expensive than others I've seen.

I will buy it if it offers a "better chance" to shoot well [I realize no sight can overcome poor aim!], but want to hear other people's experiences. I understand the UltraDot is very well made and will last as long as I shoot.

Suggestions / Comments / ...

Thanks, Mike
Here is an excellent article on red dot sights http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm

Dreyer presents data to show that the Ultradot has the smallest parallax of any scope. I have found that with one of my non Ultradot scopes, that the parallax effect could move my shot out to the edge of the black, unless I take care to keep the dot centered in the field. So I say, go with an Ultradot, but you can save some money by going with the smaller 25mm version. The extra field of view is not needed for Bullseye.
Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe »

I was in you shoes not to long ago. I did the research, visited the forums and decided on a Matchdot for my Springfield 45. And I love it!

However I also went thru a round of center fire league last fall with iron sights and that was some very valuable training. I truely feel that learning to shoot with iron sights helped my, trigger control, breathing, sight picture and steady hand.

I also purchased a S & W 41 (used) with the smaller ultradot on it and it works well but I like the additional view I get from my Matchdot better and will someday upgrade that scope.

If you are only going to shoot indoors @ 50' the Ultradot will be fine. My recomendation would be to go with the Matchdot and have the advantange of a larger field of view and the adjustable dot. Spend the money once and don't look back.

My .02

BTW: the above mentioned article is very informative as is the entire site it's on. http://groups.google.com/group/Bullseye ... rt=10&sa=N Here is another good site.

Post by Guest »

I have four ultradot match dots on my guns and like them a great deal. If you have a good mount for them on your gun they are very effective and reliable. I recently acquired an Aimpoint Micro. A friend has one and really likes it but I seem to have more trouble finding the dot and keeping it centered than I ever have with the ultradots. Maybe if I get used to it it will work just as well. Brian Zins likes the Aimpoints but I am sure he gets them for free and they are more than double the price of the ultradots. He says the big advantage of the Aimpoints is that they are virtually water proof and do not fog up internally under wet conditions. I guess a bunch of shooters at Camp Perry had trouble with internal condensation inside of their ultradots. I was fortunate. It was never pouring down rain while I was actually shooting and my utradots were fine. Kate
Misny

Post by Misny »

You can't go wrong with the UltraDot IMHO. If something goes wrong with it, they are backed up with a lifetime warranty. I like the 1 inch tubes better than the 30mm for bullseye pistol shooting and I have tried them both. I think I own 6 UltraDot scopes now.
Mike V

Post by Mike V »

I will be shooting indoor with a Ruger MK III. I don't understand the pros/cons between the 25mm & 30mm tube diameters.

Any suggestions?

Mike
Misny

Post by Misny »

It is just personal preference. I know some top bullseye shooters who use the 30mm and others who use the 1". I only use the 30mm on carbines and handguns for hunting where I want to be able to see more area. For bullseye shooting, the extra viewing area of the 30mm scope is a distraction. Only you will know which one suits you.
Mike V

Post by Mike V »

Any advantages of the standard Ultradot vs Ultradot FOUR?

http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_003.htm

http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_006.htm

Do the larger 8, 12, 16 MOA sized dots help? Is it worth the extra $40?

Thanks, Mike

Post by Guest »

I just put a Matchdot on my S&W 41 this last December and love it. I got the Matchdot so that I could experiment with the size dot that would work best for me even though it was more money up from that some other red dots. Never haveing shot with a red dot before I soon found out that the #1 setting was too small for me to shoot good at 50' and the #4 setting was just too large. With it set on the #2 setting my scores have gone up 15-20 points when shooting a gallery course. Now that I know what size dot works best for me I may be tempted to get a cheaper scope that has a fixed dot size next time if I can find one with the same dot size I now shoot with. I never shot a 1" scope, just this 30mm so I cannot coment on how a different size tube would work.

Kirmdog
Rover

Post by Rover »

jackh

Post by jackh »

Mike V wrote:I will be shooting indoor with a Ruger MK III. I don't understand the pros/cons between the 25mm & 30mm tube diameters.

Any suggestions? Mike

On a 22 and 45 the 1" Ultradots are my choice. I am becoming to like the 8 minute dot the best in the 1" 4 dot. The one inch can be mounted lower, is overall smaller and less top heavy on the gun. The window size between the 30mm and 1" is not that much different. Based on window size, i could go either way, but the other size factors make me favor the 1"
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

jackh wrote:
Mike V wrote:I will be shooting indoor with a Ruger MK III. I don't understand the pros/cons between the 25mm & 30mm tube diameters.

Any suggestions? Mike

On a 22 and 45 the 1" Ultradots are my choice. I am becoming to like the 8 minute dot the best in the 1" 4 dot. The one inch can be mounted lower, is overall smaller and less top heavy on the gun. The window size between the 30mm and 1" is not that much different. Based on window size, i could go either way, but the other size factors make me favor the 1"
In addition, 1 inch rings are substantially cheaper than 30mm, and the selection is much better. The rings sent with the Ultradots don't allow for remove and replace without sighting in again. Leupold PRW's for example do allow for it.

Mike
Wichita KS
MSC

Post by MSC »

Ditto on what Mike S said above about availability of 30mm rings. I recently had to buy a set for an extra 30mm dot, and despite many local shops with great selections of rings, they had near nothing in 30mm... I had to order.

I also shoot indoor Bullseye and tried changing to the 30mm when it was time for another dot. Absolutely no advantage IMO. Outside of an extra ounce or two sitting high up (which isn't a place I care to have extra weight).

I've used UltraDots and Millet SP1's and 2's. I used to actually like the less-expensive Millet over the UltraDot (price irrelavent). The dots were just always crisper/rounder. However my latest Millet isn't quite on par with my latest UltraDot. I've been told since Millet switched to "Made in China", there's been a downturn in quality. I'd have to agree...

For your use, I'd go with a 25mm UltraDot. Nice, compact, light. I've always been content with the single dot size (vs the 4 dot). But I guess since I never tried it, I don't know what I'm missing! :) Good luck, and regardless, you can't go wrong with any model UltraDot.
stubbicatt

Post by stubbicatt »

I have tried several brands and models of red dot out, and I always seem to get either 3 dots in a triangle shape visible to me, or a dot w/ a crescent of light next to it.

Is there a manufacturer or model which doesn't present in this way? Heck, I never know which dot to use for aiming, especially when there are three of them.

Suggestions?

PS. I haven't tried out the Docter dot sights nor the Trijicon reflex sights and wonder if these might be better made or something so that there is only one dot.

Forgive my ignorance of the rules, but must the dot be red, or could it be amber like the Trijicon?
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

stubbicatt wrote:I have tried several brands and models of red dot out, and I always seem to get either 3 dots in a triangle shape visible to me, or a dot w/ a crescent of light next to it.

Is there a manufacturer or model which doesn't present in this way? Heck, I never know which dot to use for aiming, especially when there are three of them.

Suggestions?

PS. I haven't tried out the Docter dot sights nor the Trijicon reflex sights and wonder if these might be better made or something so that there is only one dot.

Forgive my ignorance of the rules, but must the dot be red, or could it be amber like the Trijicon?
It's time for a trip to the optometrist. If the (single) dot is not round, you have uncorrected astigmatism.

Rule 3 does not mention color of dot.

Richard Ashmore
stubbicatt

Post by stubbicatt »

I just went to the optometrist, and he issued contact lenses. Can astigmatism be corrected with contact lenses?

I shall have to attempt viewing the dot through my regular glasses to compare the difference.

When I turn the dot down to lower intensities, it resolves into one single dot with the contacts in place, but there is still a shadow on the lense of the device which resembles a crescent, but it hardly visible.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

stubbicatt wrote:Can astigmatism be corrected with contact lenses?
Yes, but not all contacts can correct astigmatism (which is one reason I gave up contacts).

Richard Ashmore
tenex

Post by tenex »

GOVTMODEL wrote:
Yes, but not all contacts can correct astigmatism (which is one reason I gave up contacts).

Richard Ashmore
I see a better dot with my glasses too, even though they are the same prescription as my contacts, I don't know why.

Unfortunately I don't shoot any better...

Steve.
DonW

red dot sights

Post by DonW »

Has anyone found a red dot scope that is parallax opimized for fifty feet?
That would seem to be a good thing for all the 50 ft gallery matches that take place.
DonW