AirForce Edge

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Guns

AirForce Edge

Post by Guns »

I am inclined to believe that AirForce may have an "IN" with the CMP. My order for the Edge has been repeatedly delayed and I have heard of no one who actually has this weapon in their inventory. What standard did the CMP use to determine that this weapon was appropriate for inclusion in the Sporter Class? Does anyone believe that someone at AirForce may have passed an envelope on to a member of the CMP counsel? This is either a sham or a poorly thoughtout advertizing gimic. My group uses the 853C and the 853CM. I want to upgrade. The Daisy 887 is my next-best option. Does anyone have a word - pro or con?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

As this is a duplicate post from another thread, I'll voice my opinion here.

No, I do not believe in the envelope passing.

I do think that the council was/is desparate for another rifle manufacturer. They have take a lot of heat about leaning towards Daisy, but I personally have no problem, and exclusively shoot Daisy rifles in my program.

No regrets there. Manufactured in the USA, at a VERY reasonable price .... I suspect that they sell these competition rifles at below their normal profit margins, and subsidise this with the "Big Box" type BB guns and such.

As I've said in a previous post, if Crossman would come up with an adapter that fired the Daisy CO2 tanks, I'd use more Crossmans, but I cannot stand the small itty bitty 12 gram cylinders when I'm teaching 3-P and having kids fire 80+ shots in a match.

I absolutely cannot see paying the price for the Edge .... even a Daisy 853 pump gun can be fired in a precision match .... the Edge is not a legal precision rifle due to the height of the front sight above the CL of the bore (at the last I saw and handled one of them). AirForce does not have lower cost/high volume guns to "wedge" against the cost of the Edge ... it will always be a (too) high priced rifle ..... again, in my opinion.

WHY oh WHY has not the CMP allowed the Tech Force 79????? It has been out for years and at least uses 2 of the 12 gram cylinders and can get thru a 3x20 position match w/o refilling. I purchased one years ago and is a fine rifle (well the sights are garbage, but fit a gamo and it will easily hold a 9-10 ring) .... for $145!!!!!!! These would be PERFECT club starter rifles.

So while I don't think any envelope passing has taken place, I'm not all warm & cuddly with/about the CMP and the 3-P council either.....

My reccomendation is for younger kids (8-12) go with an 888 (you can hack the stock and has a low sight profile), and for older kids I like the 887