Rear Sight Question

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jra

Rear Sight Question

Post by jra »

I am a coach for a JROTC Air Rifle Team. We have the Gamo sights on the Air Arms Sporter rifle. I have several rear sights that are clicked all the way to the left and the rifle continues to shoot right. What can you do when you reach the stop.
inventor of BB launcher

Post by inventor of BB launcher »

I have not dealt with this rifle much. ( I shot it once or twice)

You might be able to move the front sight. If you can on this gun, it might fix your problem.

Is there a chance the shooter snatching the trigger?
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

BB, not sure if this is what you had in mind by "moving", but you could try turning the front sight around. I don't know how it mounts, but maybe the clamp has a lot of movement in it and moves the front sight to one side when tightened down. Also check to make sure the front sight insert is relatively centered.

Lastly, check to make sure the cheek piece is at the right height and that your kids are lining up the rear sight properly. I have to stay on my juniors about that, it's easy to let that get away from them.
inventor of BB launcher

Post by inventor of BB launcher »

On another note, are the sights German?

If they are, you have to:

To move the shots to the left, you have to move the the sights towards the "L"

German sights are marked different than other sites.( "L"-- shots coming from left)("R"--shots coming from right).

Let us know if any of this helps.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

On the gamo sights the text on the knobs indicates direction to move the group.

It is very easy on the XSV-40/Air Arms type rifles to bang the front sight and >>rotate<< the front sight mount. There is a hex head screw that you can loosen and center the whole deal on top of the barrel.

It normally is a plastic part and the screw can strip out .... only two ways to fix that
1) not recommended, but a quick fix (say in a match) is to tape it or glue it down so it stays centered on the top of the barrell
2) long term solution ... contact our host at Pilkguns and purchase the aluminum front sight mount ($20). Much better
http://www.pilkguns.com/daisyvaliantupgrade.shtml
These fit the Air Arms & Daisy XSV-40's and is a legal part replacement

If you have smaller shooters, I usually have them put their kneeling roll out in front of them during prone to rest the rifle on between shots or when they are not using the rifle .... don't know why, but the smaller kids are the ones that bang the front sights on the floor a lot.
Eurastus

Re: Rear Sight Question

Post by Eurastus »

jra wrote:I have several rear sights that are clicked all the way to the left and the rifle continues to shoot right. What can you do when you reach the stop.
I had this same problem with a bunch of Avanti youth rifles. Some were skewed to the left and others to the right.

It turned out that on every rifle, the front sight was canted. Some to the left and others to the right right...by varying degrees. In the end, I straightened the front sights, using various means depending on how bad the cant was and by what method the front sight mount was fastened. They're all pretty close to centered now.

It took me some time to find the problem; I was used to quality rifles that all had the front sight mounts properly positioned. It baffled me that Daisy/Avanti could be so lax in their quality control.

Since then, I've never bought another Avanti product. There are many other options that don't cost all that much more.