Advantage Arms .22 Conversion

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Misny

Post by Misny »

Well, I mailed an order form to Bob Marvel a few weeks ago for one of his new .22 conversions. I called a few times. I got someone to answer the first time and he said that he would have someone call back to confirm that they got my order. Since then, I've called and left messages and no one returned my calls. Their website is down now. It's almost like they have dropped from the face of the earth. Looks like I'm out of luck.

Post by Guest »

Misny, this is very troubling. There is chatter on the Bullseye List that Bob Marvel has (again) dropped out of sight. Could you please list the exact web address, snail mail address, and telephone number you have used. We can then compare against what others have successfully used in the past and try to sort this out.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I just tried to get on Bob Marvel's website and it looks like it is back up. So now it just looks like the issue is that they haven't returned my calls to acknowledge my order. I want to make clear that I don't have any money tied up in the order. Here is where I mailed my order and the number I called:

Marvel Custom Guns
http://www.bobmarvelguns.com
2303 CR GG
Crete, NE 68333
402-826-3679

Maybe they just don't have enough staff to handle their business. A while back I e-mailed Larry's Guns with a question about my Hammerli 208s. It took them 3 weeks to respond to my e-mail, but I did get an answer.
jackh

Post by jackh »

2303 County Rd. GG
Crete, NE 68333-5001
(402) 826-3679
www.bobmarvelcustomguns.com
www.bobmarvel22conversion.com
arjuna70

Post by arjuna70 »

There is a lot of talk about Bob and a lot of unhappy customers. The guy does great work and I've handled a two of his finished wad guns but he seems to have some issues.

I was originally going to have a wad gun built up by him but after the same experience, no return emails or calls I moved on to another bullseye gunsmith and got an outstanding gun built up.

I shoot a Marvel Conversion for Rimfire from Marvel Precision. A friend picked it up at Camp Perry for me and it has been flawless. I added a Rock River Arms steel rib and it's perfect. It will hold the x-ring (from a rest!) at 50 yrds with Federal Gold Medal ammo. I practice with the bulk aguila SV from the CMP.

I would call them and leave a message and they always call back. Or call them in the morning. The only drawback is that the slide won't stay locked open on the last round. I was shooting a Walther and Hammerli prior to the Marvel and they both have the same system so I'm used to counting to 5 in my head.

Here is a link to their site:
http://www.marvelprecision.com/

Post by Guest »

Arjuna70, to be fair I don't think Bob Marvel has "alot of unhappy customers". He has alot of unhappy potential customers!

Dealing with the lack of response from Bob Marvel can be really disappointing. However, if you have enough patience you might be rewarded with a masterpiece. My AA Bob Marvel target conversion is exactly that... a masterpiece. (And yes, I also own the Marvel Precision version, which is good, but not as good.)

It arrived 12 months late (June 09), and I had no communication or response from Bob Marvel or Deb Heistermann (his wife) for over a year. Hang in there.
arjuna70

Post by arjuna70 »

Anonymous wrote:Arjuna70, to be fair I don't think Bob Marvel has "alot of unhappy customers". He has alot of unhappy potential customers!

Dealing with the lack of response from Bob Marvel can be really disappointing. However, if you have enough patience you might be rewarded with a masterpiece. My AA Bob Marvel target conversion is exactly that... a masterpiece. (And yes, I also own the Marvel Precision version, which is good, but not as good.)

It arrived 12 months late (June 09), and I had no communication or response from Bob Marvel or Deb Heistermann (his wife) for over a year. Hang in there.
I agree with what you are saying. I also agree that his finished products are top notch. Its just not someone I was prepared to do business with. What happens if there is a problem, what are you going to do then? Wait for another year for a call back. I can't understand why a guy with such a sterling reputation on one hand has such serious problems on the other hand.

I'm glad you have a great shooter. At then end of the day, that's what matters most. But I'm not sure that even your essentially positive testimonial would reassure me.
anotherguest

advantage arms .22 conversion

Post by anotherguest »

jackh,
I supposededly got on the list back in early May of 08. Even had a nice conversation with Mr Marvel. When did you order your unit? Did you forward funds with the order or were you contacted for a deposit or full payment.
jackh

Post by jackh »

I got on the Custom Pro list when they first announced in early 08 (I think). Sent no payment until announced the nearly finished first 10 units. I sent payment and began waiting. Even then there was additional delay due to wrong mag springs as I recall in the one time I did get through to Mr Marvel.

I am very pleased with the BM/AA conversion. Just prior I purchased 2 AA target conversions. First was the AA Standard version at the local retail shop. It worked very good for HB practice on the HB frame. Later I sold this one to a clubmate. Meanwhile I picked up 2 AA Target versions. One at retail and one direct from AA. The retail unit was the earlier engineered version which AA switched to the current version when I ordered the longer AA barrel.
anotherguest

Post by anotherguest »

Thanks for that info Jack.
I am trying to make contact with them. We'll see what happens.
Thanks again
Joe in CA
tooldude

Post by tooldude »

What is the wait time on the aa/marvel unit? I have tried to contact them, but cannot reach them by phone or email. I ended up ordering one on friday and taking a chance. What brand barrel does Marvel use on the upgrade.
anotherguest

Post by anotherguest »

I made contact with Bob Marvel and my order was updated and shipped and I am very happy with what I received. Beautiful work, functions perfectly and extreamly accurate. I was pretty frustrated for a while but as has been said it was ultimately worth the wait. Head and shoulders above any of the other units I have seen.
Joe in CA

Post by Guest »

Joe in Ca, do you mind telling us what number your conversion is so we know where we stand on the waiting list? Thanks
anotherguest

Post by anotherguest »

The number is 025 if that does you any good. Still real happy. I have been shooting it a bit. Problem is finding decent rimfire ammo in quantity.One thing I noticed was the mags from AA need a little attention.
Before your first range session cycle the follower about 100 times then disassemble and clean. A couple of mine had plastic flashing in places and were a bit rough. I do this with all new mags metal or non anyway.
good luck.
Joe in CA
anotherguest

Bob Marvel conversion

Post by anotherguest »

I've shot a couple of steel challenge matches with it using 6 different magazines and both Fiocchi HV and Aguila SV. About 250 rds per match.
Not one malfunction. So far so good.
Joe in CA