What Rifle should we buy?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Superdave

What Rifle should we buy?

Post by Superdave »

Hello Everyone

My son has really enjoyed his Crosman 2100, but is ready to move up.

His ideal rifle would be in the 1000fps range, single pump recharge, take either BBs or .177 pellets........AND have a multiple shot magazine.

All the rifles I have seen are single shot. Does anyone manufacture a rifle with all these features?

Thank You very much

Dave
Quest1

Re: What Rifle should we buy?

Post by Quest1 »

Superdave wrote:Hello Everyone

My son has really enjoyed his Crosman 2100, but is ready to move up.

His ideal rifle would be in the 1000fps range, single pump recharge, take either BBs or .177 pellets........AND have a multiple shot magazine.

All the rifles I have seen are single shot. Does anyone manufacture a rifle with all these features?

Thank You very much

Dave
What are your end goals? Just to blink or serious bullseye shooting? We have a multi shot Beretta pellet rifle if you interested.
Superdave

Post by Superdave »

He is interested in hunting rodents around the farm and enjoys targets. He may well develop in to a hobbyist marksman........

Can you tell me the model number or more details on the rifle?

Thanks
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

One of your problems will be the BB and pellet option.
As far as I know, the rifles that will push a pellet at or near 1000fps are pellet only.
BTW that 1000fps is a marketing gimik.
Velocity w/o accuracy is worthless. Its like saying I can shoot 1000fps but the only thing I can hit is a 55 gal drum.

You are better off starting him with a mid power rifle.

To get a rifle with a clip/magazine feed, you will likely have to go with a co2 or CA/PCP rifle. I don't know of any spring or SSP with a clip feed other than a few low power rifles.
Superdave

What rifle should we buy?

Post by Superdave »

Thanks for your response....I thought FPS was at least one indicator of accuracy.

When shopping for an air rifle, what is the best indicator of accuracy?

Dave
inventor of BB launcher

Post by inventor of BB launcher »

I have a Benjamin pump air riffle. it shoots 800 fps, strong enough to kill a squirrel. It is pretty accurate. How old is he? You have to pump it 8 times per shot.

By the way, as far as I know, there is no term that describes accuracy.
Fps stands for ,feet per second.

Most single pump riffles that shoot 1000 fps will probably have a cocking effort of 25-40 lb.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

As for accuracy I remember reading Center to Center (CTC) being published, but figures, I can't find examples now.

The problem with published accuracy (especially for spring rifles) is that you will NEVER be able to match the factory specs. As I recall the Beeman R7 has specs that would rank it as a match air rifle. But who can shoot it to its potential?

Since you are asking about a sportster rifle vs a match rifle, might also try asking at the StraightShooters forum
http://straightshooters.com/chat/viewforum.php?f=2