2008-2010 3PARC Rules on CMP Site

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

jhmartin

2008-2010 3PARC Rules on CMP Site

Post by jhmartin »

http://www.odcmp.com/3P/Rules.pdf

I've sent a few comments to CMP ... some pro, some con .... overall I think most are good

Leery of a new bullet items in 5.1 - Shooting Positions - kneeling & prone
The right hand or arm may not touch the left arm, shooting jacket or sling.
Don't know how you do that in kneeling with an unbuttoned jacket if you've been teaching a "tight" position with the trigger arm (right) lowered and not out in the breeze.
Anyone know the thinking here?

Also note that the tie breaking rules (8.4) have changed .... Inner 10's are now #1 after score
old confused coach

Post by old confused coach »

Now wait a minute - you mean the ISSF says that it's OK to rest your rifle on your chest*, but the CMP doesn't allow us to lower our (or rather our young shooters') arm into a relaxed position in kneel?!? What is this world coming to?! I'll be ready to give up soon if this continues!
*= which has got to be blatant artificial support if you ask me
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I'm sure that the intent is not what it says.
I've sent an email to them to clarify. I think this is just really badly worded.
(I hope...)

I think the intent is for a RH shooter not to be able to rest their hand/rifle on the jacket or chest on the LH side.

Just as ISSF (USAS) does not allow a RH shooter to be able to rest the rifle on the LH side.
7.6.1.2.4 However the rifle must not be supported by the jacket or chest beyond the area of the right shoulder and right chest.
I >>THINK<< this is what this new CMP rule means.
(why they don't just use the same wording ..... dunno)

Personally, I'm just as irritated at the "new" tie breaking procedures in 8.4 ... this ain't HP, 3-P Air Rifle is derived from the Olympic/International rules and the TB's should go with those methods (IMO of course)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

jhmartin wrote:...Personally, I'm just as irritated at the "new" tie breaking procedures in 8.4 ... this ain't HP, 3-P Air Rifle is derived from the Olympic/International rules and the TB's should go with those methods (IMO of course)
8.4 is now effectively the same as the 2009 ISSF rules for tie-breaking will be.

Spencer
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Spencer wrote:
8.4 is now effectively the same as the 2009 ISSF rules for tie-breaking will be.
See what you learn here! Then it will be USAS a rule too.

I think we (those of us that use the 10 bull targets) then need a different plug than the inward to score these. The US paper tears, even when backed by new, stiff cardboard, and there is no real reference inside that 9 ring. I've suggested that they have a special "X-Plug" that works like an outward gauge, but with a measuring edge diameter of 6.60mm ... this would score 10.2 and above like the "normal" outward gauge.

Thanks Spencer for the info .... JM
(just for my own curiosity, why the change .... do you have any insights to that thinking?)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

For ISSF targets the existing Air Pistol outward gauge (11.5mm) gives inner 10s for Air Rifle against the 7 ring - for Air Pistol there is a new 18mm gauge that gives inner 10s against the Air Pistol 8 ring.

(I assume) the change to inner 10s is to remove the inequality of where you drop the points (a 9 in the first few series puts you higher than a 9 in the last few - look at the ties for some of the Paralympics scores of 599). Using the inner 10s puts the better shooter ahead in the tiebreak.

Spencer
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Hey Spencer .... Thanks!

To get the engineer out in me it would need to be 11.60mm, but you are right .... I think it would work just fine.
Much better than to inner plug & eyeball and guess on tears in the paper/fibers that are towards the center.

I have a VSD drawing set that I use to teach folks to score with the plugs and I worked up a page with the AP plug. (it's 800 pixels wide ... if it needs to be smaller let me know & I'll fix it)

So I'll order a plug or two ... again, thanks
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

love the diagram; can I have a clean copy? Have you done a series of these diagrams? (one for the 18mm gauge on Air Pistol would be great!(hint))

Spencer
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Spencer wrote:
can I have a clean copy?
These "slides" are done in Visio. They are done for Air Rifle, and would take me some time (to find the time) to work up a target for AP .... obviously, I've got the AP Outer plug done.
If you have Visio, I have no problem sending you the file ... it's less than 300K ... worse case I can PDF print the pages, but that would take up more space and then you could not manipulate them
PM me with your email address, and I'll zing it/them off to you

EDIT: ADDITION Received this from Gary Anderson a few minutes ago:
Yes, using an air pistol Outer Gauge (7.5mm) is an ISSF-approved method of scoring inner tens on the air rifle target. Appreciate the overlay--we will put out an advisory on that.

Gary
Gary Anderson
dcm@odcmp.com