USA Shooting/ Air Arms pistols

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Sfaught

USA Shooting/ Air Arms pistols

Post by Sfaught »

I had a chance to examine and test the new Air -Arms pistols that USAS is selling. Please keep in mind I am writing this review for us coaches with junior programs as they are the ones for whom these guns are intended. The first impression is this gun looks good. Its fit and finish is close to that of pistols 2 and 3 times its price. The grip is small, ambidextrous and made of wood. The trigger has been moved back from the prototype I handled last year, but still could come back some more. For really short fingers one can remove the shoe completely and trigger off the post. The air tank is located in the grip making the front very light. A sliding weight that fits on the barrel shroud is included as well as spare o-rings, wrenches and a spanner wrench for grip removal that TAU owners will recognize. But that’s enough fluff, here is the important stuff.

When you get the gun, clean it. The gun had a lot of machining dust and oil inside the barrel and in the trigger area. By doing this right away it will save on seals, sears and accuracy. Each trigger was set differently and not at the proper weight so they will need to be set. The instructions are fairly clear on how to set the trigger and velocity. I adjusted the velocity screw under the shroud and not the air transfer port screw.

The velocity on one gun was set so low that it did not shoot very well at all. Most PCP guns shoot best at about 500 fps. I put the gun in a ransom rest I use to test air guns. I slowly increased the velocity until it shot 480 fps with heavy and 490 fps with light pellets. At that point, all shots in the group were in or touching the inner ten ring. It shot several brands of pellets equally well. This one liked 4.50 heavy pellets the best but that varies with each gun. The gun may even be more accurate at higher speeds but for our program this is fine and the gun gives just over 100 shots per fill. If you do not have access to a chronograph, just slowly increase the velocity until a " National Target” brand target quits tearing. That should get you close.

The air tank does not remove from the gun so put the CBI in place and take the gun to the air. The fill adapter has a length of hose in the middle for ease of filling. The gun end fitting slides on and gets a half turn. There are two o-rings that seal the fitting and I would recommend they are kept lubed with a synthetic silicone based grease such as "Super Lube" sold by Pilkington. After the gun is filled, bleed the hose at the yoke before trying to remove the fitting at the gun end.

Bob Foth and I talked about some minor improvements such as a bleeder on the fill adapter, setting the trigger back farther and a wider rear sight notch. Bob is looking into these changes but remember changes cost money and at less than $600, this gun is an exceptional value and fills a long- time equipment void in our junior programs.

Steve Faught
skyesdad

Post by skyesdad »

Steve,my daughter has just gotten one and yes, it did have a lot of machining residue in it but we are only getting 79 to 85 shots per tank.
It seems like a great little gun but and these are her words "it is too light and the grip is not very comfortable like I have to hold too hard". We were hoping the she would like it better than the IZH she had been shooting. Ah kids - as long as she enjoys it and keeps improving I will buy more guns and her coaches will continue to do what they do - keep a 12 year old in check.