New to the Rifle Team

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Duckhunter

New to the Rifle Team

Post by Duckhunter »

Well my highschool just started up the rifle team again (jrotc program) and we are using a bunch of the old guns they used before. I was told it was okay to buy my own rifle to maintain and to bring to practice/shoots. I was looking at getting the 888 (being that it has a larger frame stock and such) and would like to know how to go about getting a refill station so I could fill up my cylinders at home and bring them to school for practice. How does it work?
Duckhunter

Post by Duckhunter »

Oops, I meant to say the 887. (looking at getting the 887 that is.)
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Good choice (the 887) .... better stock & sights that will keep your head up.

As a note .... I would get a quick release handstop & use instead of the Daisy sling mount. #CC4748 at Champions Choice ($17)

Also ... go here for the CO2 Instruction Poster download
http://www.odcmp.com/Programs/publications.htm
(Get the 11x17 version, for some reason the 8.5x11 version crashes my browser)

You'll need a "Dip-Tube" tank (a 20lb version is fine) from an industrial gas shop and a postal scale (from walmart or staples)
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

You will need to get the filling adapter to connect the filler tank to the rifle cylinder. The filling process instructions come with the adapter. Be very careful not to over fill the cylinder. Do use the scale mentioned above because over filling causes the high pressure release valve to blow out . Excessive heat can also cause the same problem. Good Shooting Bill Horton
2016oly

Style of shooting

Post by 2016oly »

What atyle does your team shoot?
The Team at my school shoots 10m precision 3x4x10
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Here in New Mexico we have league shoots from Sept thru June that are 3x10's (some of these may fire a 3x10+F)

"early" in the year we have a 3x20 "Fall Cup" match that is a 3x20+F

Sept thru Jan or so concentrates on the International event (W-40, M-60)
to prep and fire for the USA Shooting JO's and NRA INTL Sectionals

Feb thru June focuses on the 3-Position matches culminating with our State 3-P JO qualifier, and then a "Spring Western Cup/State Championship" matches that are 3x20+F

Between Sept and June the JROTC teams will have 15-18 major matches and the 4-H (& other) shooters, 10-14 major matches

During the year we usually have about 60 sporter shooters and 40 precision shooters in the major matches
edlarson

Post by edlarson »

Congrats on starting up a program, we all like to hear that!!!! Good luck!
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

To avoid the cost of a bulk tank and adapter, you can get your cylinder filled any place that fills paint ball cylinders. An extra cylinder from Daisy is inexpensive. It will minimize your trips to the store and having a spare for backup is not a bad idea.