How do I get my kids into USAS Progressive Pistol??

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

shakennotstirred

How do I get my kids into USAS Progressive Pistol??

Post by shakennotstirred »

My wife is finally on-board with me starting my son (8yo) in competitive shooting. He is safe, will listen, and is familiarized with several of my 22LR rifles.

I would like to get him into the USAS Progressive Postiion Pistol program, but I have no idea if this is something that is only found in a few locations.

Any or all advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

PPP is a relatively new program which allows youth to participate using positions from fully supported all the way to one handed unsupported. The position they use is generally based on age and abillity. Clubs doing PPP are somewhat few and far between but it seems to be growing.

I highly recommend finding a club for you child. If one is not available - start one. Hopefully a local club will resond to your post. Also, contact Bob Foth with USA Shooting. He can be reached at 719-866-4881 or e-mail at bob.foth@usashooting.org. He can help get you in touch with your state director and/or a club near you.

You can download information such as match programs and rules on the USA Shooting website (www.usashooting.org).

Good luck. It's a great program and growing.

Sam
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

PPP is a relatively new program which allows youth to participate using positions from fully supported all the way to one handed unsupported. The position they use is generally based on age and abillity. Clubs doing PPP are somewhat few and far between but it seems to be growing.

I highly recommend finding a club for you child. If one is not available - start one. Hopefully a local club will resond to your post. Also, contact Bob Foth with USA Shooting. He can be reached at 719-866-4881 or e-mail at bob.foth@usashooting.org. He can help get you in touch with your state director and/or a club near you.

You can download information such as match programs and rules on the USA Shooting website (www.usashooting.org).

Good luck. It's a great program and growing.

Sam
mikeschroeder

Re: How do I get my kids into USAS Progressive Pistol??

Post by mikeschroeder »

shakennotstirred wrote:...
I would like to get him into the USAS Progressive Postiion Pistol program, but I have no idea if this is something that is only found in a few locations....!
Hi

Unfortunately, Progressive pistol isn't so much a program, as a competition rule book. The clubs listed in USA Shooting (and elsewhere) are usually either 4H shooting sports clubs or private gun clubs. When you call one in your area, ask about pistol shooting for you son, the contact may or may not know what progressive pistol is. To find out if your county has 4H shooting sports, look under 4H in the phone book, or call your county extension agent. 4H is part of the Federal Dept of Agriculture, State dept of Agriculture, and County Government. Kind of makes you wonder how anything happens at all....

The following link will help your son with shooting if you can't find a club at all:

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

Mike
Wichita KS
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Also .... go to the CMP website - Junior Directors
http://www.odcmp.com/Programs/SJD.htm

Lookup & call/email Deb in CT ... she's a great gal and may be able to point you in a direction of a club near you too