Chen Ying's pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Fortitudo Dei

Chen Ying's pistol

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Here's an image of Chen Ying on her way to winning Gold in 25m Pistol at the Beijing Olympics. Can anyone identify what her pistol is?
Attachments
Chen Ying.jpg
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

i thought it looked like a Hammerli 208

if its not, let me know I posted that on another forum I'd need to correct

maybe itsa model 41

what was Gundegmaa Otryad using? the magazine loaded into the pistol from the TOP (watch the finals video)

Poole
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

Not a 208 and not a 41.

I have no idea. I blew it up and the trigger guard is square.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

if it was a 208 I think the slide would soon make short work of the top rear of that grip

Spencer
AAlex

Post by AAlex »

Most likely a replica of one of the Khaidurov prototypes.

Reasons for my guess:
1) Kinda looks like one (XP-30 ?)
2) Clearly not anything that's on sale.
3) If "made to order" - Khaidurov design is an obvious choice.

Could be a Chinese design built from scratch (since they now use their own ammo too, so it is not too far-fetched); However, that is not Chinese modus operandi, if you know what I mean.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I've just found another photo of it from when she was at the ISSF World Cup shoot in Munich last year. This image is much clearer - but I'm none the wiser...
Attachments
Chen Ying 2.jpg
Chen Ying 2.jpg (15.61 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
j-team

Post by j-team »

It's a chinese pistol. I used to know the model number but have forgotten.

There is at least one here in New Zealand as I used to know the guy that was the owner. Has since been sold and I don't know who has it now.

I think that they had a little lever (like an air pistol) which would re-cock the hammer without having to rack the slide.

If it is the one I think they have been around since about the late 1980s.
Last edited by j-team on Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Bill Poole wrote: what was Gundegmaa Otryad using? the magazine loaded into the pistol from the TOP (watch the finals video)
2nd Gundegmaa OTRYAD Walther SSP

3rd Munkhbayar DORJSUREN Walther SSP
More pics http://www.issfnews.com/default.aspx?mo ... =11&inst=0
jipe

Post by jipe »

LukeP wrote:
Bill Poole wrote: what was Gundegmaa Otryad using? the magazine loaded into the pistol from the TOP (watch the finals video)
2nd Gundegmaa OTRYAD Walther SSP

3rd Munkhbayar DORJSUREN Walther SSP
More pics http://www.issfnews.com/default.aspx?mo ... =11&inst=0
I have been looking the WC finals on ISSF tv and it seems to me that its the first time that there is an SSP in a world event final.

If I remember well, till now Gundegmaa OTRYAD was using a FWB AW93.
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

On the subject of Otryad, does anyone know what the reason was that she put up her hand in the 3rd or 4th series.

Normally you'd expect it to be a malfunction, but the Range Officer didn't check her pistol which is the normal procedure.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

rrpc wrote:On the subject of Otryad, does anyone know what the reason was that she put up her hand in the 3rd or 4th series.

Normally you'd expect it to be a malfunction, but the Range Officer didn't check her pistol which is the normal procedure.
He did check her pistol. Presumably he saw that the slide was half open (or some other visible malfunction) so he would not need to touch the pistol.

The strange thing was that her malfunction was on the 2nd shot but she didn't raise her hand until the others had fired their 4th shots (could have been 3rd but I don't think so). She also rested her pistol on the bench (not permitted). That wasn't such a grave error with an SSP but could have covered up an incorrect magazine insertion on a GSP/SP20/SP1 etc.

Having seen it on TV I am sure there was no intention to cheat but it was a technical breach of at least 2 rules. She has probably carried out the correct procedure thousands of times; my guess is that the occasion addled her brain.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Chen's pistol is not just an IZH-35M with Morini grips is it?
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

David Levene wrote: He did check her pistol. Presumably he saw that the slide was half open (or some other visible malfunction) so he would not need to touch the pistol.

The strange thing was that her malfunction was on the 2nd shot but she didn't raise her hand until the others had fired their 4th shots (could have been 3rd but I don't think so). She also rested her pistol on the bench (not permitted). That wasn't such a grave error with an SSP but could have covered up an incorrect magazine insertion on a GSP/SP20/SP1 etc.

Having seen it on TV I am sure there was no intention to cheat but it was a technical breach of at least 2 rules. She has probably carried out the correct procedure thousands of times; my guess is that the occasion addled her brain.
Yes she took quite a long time to signal the malfunction. Having watched it again I could see where she attempted the second shot which I hadn't seen before. And yes the pistol should remain pointing down range.
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

ColinC wrote:Chen's pistol is not just an IZH-35M with Morini grips is it?
I don't think so. The back sight f the IZH is a good deal deeper on the IZH then the one on Chen's pistol. Here's a side view of the IZH:

As you can see there are a good few differences.
j-team

Post by j-team »

ColinC wrote:Chen's pistol is not just an IZH-35M with Morini grips is it?
It's a Chinese produced pistol. Read my previous post!
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

Back to Otryad again. She must be sponsored by someone else because the Walther name is covered up everywhere it appears on her SSP.

Feinwerkbau?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

rrpc wrote:Back to Otryad again. She must be sponsored by someone else because the Walther name is covered up everywhere it appears on her SSP.
That would probably be because of rule 51 of the Olympic Charter and its byelaws, mainly 1.1 "The identification of the manufacturer shall not appear more than once per item of clothing and equipment." and 8 "The word "identification" means the normal display of the name, designation, trademark, logo or any other distinctive sign of the manufacturer of the item, appearing not more than once per item."