Most Disappointing Oylmpic Sport

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

mikeschroeder

Most Disappointing Oylmpic Sport

Post by mikeschroeder »

HI

Watching video on the computer of the Women's Foil Championship. We won, and we lost. On the other hand, I think that I can say Shooting isn't the most boring sport to watch. My favorite movies are the Three Musketeers (Keifer Sutherland version), and the Three Musketeers (Rachel Welch Version). These people aren't sword fighting, they're poking each other with radio antennas from an old Buick. I looked up fencing in an old encyclopedia and the lunge, parry, etc from it is no longer used. Sabre isn't any better.

Later

Mike
Wichita KS
AAlex

Post by AAlex »

I disagree.

Women fencing, especially sabre, is extremely interesting to watch. Especially with the sound on and commentary off.

But jokes aside, I think fencing is very dynamic, strategic and exciting sports overall in the whole Olympic programme. The only thing I wish they would do is mandate the blades to be covered with light-reflecting layer and prohibit any commentary.
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

We still got 3 medals out of it, and we where on top of the medal count for a little while, but I'm confident we will get back to the top.
tleddy

Fencing

Post by tleddy »

Mike-

Give the sport a try sometime... Foil, Epee' or Saber.

You would find that all are extremely athletic, fast and technical.

When I was in California, I took lessons from a 90 year old Olympic Medalist. Even at his advance age it was not easy to get a "touch" on him. Admittedly he did not move around a lot but his skill and experience could wear out younger fencers.

Tillman... never a very good fencer
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Nothing like slagging someone else's sport out of ignorance, I'd hope shooters would know better as this is how our sport is treated.
mikeschroeder

Re: Fencing

Post by mikeschroeder »

tleddy wrote:Mike-

Give the sport a try sometime... Foil, Epee' or Saber.

You would find that all are extremely athletic, fast and technical.

When I was in California, I took lessons from a 90 year old Olympic Medalist. Even at his advance age it was not easy to get a "touch" on him. Admittedly he did not move around a lot but his skill and experience could wear out younger fencers.

Tillman... never a very good fencer
Hi, I'd give it a try, but even compared to shooting it's expensive here in Wichita. $100 a month for the club, and then there's more toys to buy. I KNOW that they're all athletic, extremely fast, and technical, but it's also one of those sports that's more fun to do, than to watch. Look at the movie (I know not real) swords, and the military's old cavalry sabres from when they were used. Compare them to the Olympic fencing stuff, no real comparison. We still have the edge on fencing for TV Purposes.

Not slagging them through ignorance. Air Pistol shooting is substantially more like any form of real pistol shooting than current fencing is like real sword fighting. Our primary difference is recoil.

Mike
Wichita KS
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I've noticed most sports are promoting the reporters as part of the sport. The antics of the commentators are included the highlights.
It's sad that most of them believe they are "part of the action".
Ben

Post by Guest »

Why are we wasting time on this forum putting down another sport that has nothing to do with shooitng?
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I read posts that supported the sport.
It's good to compare other hobbies and have open discussions.
Ben
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

So fencing isn't like sword fighting in the movies, exactly how does International style shooting compare to shooting in the movies?

Fencing is a sport, not sword fighting.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Personally, I think it's fascinating. Some of the "scoring" videos explain a bunch too.

Comparing our sport which is to be slow, steady & still with one that moves like lightning .....

One of my daughters thinks that they should be allowed to yell like the fencers on any 10 they shoot .... might make a neat distraction drill ... hmmmmm
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I agree you should be able to scream and do that in your face fist pump at least in the finals.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Seriously, yes!

It's sometimes hard to get up enough folks for a "guts" match .... how about a "fencing" final practice?

It would be a riot to tape & take pictures of
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

You'd like a Bundesliga Match.

If you're unfamiliar they are basically shooter against shooter (co-ed), lots of spectators and electronic scoring. The first shooter to get his shoot-off basically activates the spectators cheers or jeers, it can be very loud and distracting. It great its the way shooting should be, not this "shhh he's shooting crap".
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Richard H wrote:You'd like a Bundesliga Match.

If you're unfamiliar they are basically shooter against shooter (co-ed), lots of spectators and electronic scoring. The first shooter to get his shoot-off basically activates the spectators cheers or jeers, it can be very loud and distracting. It great its the way shooting should be, not this "shhh he's shooting crap".
Sounds like the Top Gun match that USAS used to include in the 3x air matches at the OTC. There's a story that one of the shooters mooned the audience :-)
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

jhmartin wrote:Seriously, yes!

It's sometimes hard to get up enough folks for a "guts" match .... how about a "fencing" final practice?

It would be a riot to tape & take pictures of
How about a free pistol final where the competitors shoot at each other with electronic pistols like laser tag? First one to score a 10.9 on his opponent moves on until only one is standing!

Naw, I like shoostin' real bullets.