who has the best high school shooting program

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

hank2222

who has the best high school shooting program

Post by hank2222 »

ok guys tell me who the best high school shooting program in the western united states area
iam looking for a high school that will take a younger shooter in and teach them
she does the 10.meter air rifle standing olympic program
she has all her own gear rifle shooting cloths and other items we need a place to start her on her pathway
what i want is a school that well let her come into there program as a underage shoot and train with them and shoot with them on there program
any info will help
thank you
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Wow ..... risky topic to reply to, so I'll state I'm a 4-H coach in NM that has run many USAS, CMP and NRA junior air rifle matches, BUT .... I have limited knowledge to what I am going to have you look into......

Strictly speaking, in terms of a high school scholastic program, from what I can see you are going to be looking at JROTC programs (Army, Navy, & MC ... Air Force does not have the experience yet).

If you look into club programs, you have more choices (rifle/pistol clubs, 4-H, etc)

I would suggest that you first go to the CMP website, and look up the past few years of JROTC Western Region championships .... JROTC collectively, and the separate service regionals. Also, check the other national championships ... American Legion, USAMU, 4-H, CMP JO's, etc
Here is a link to get you started:
http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/matchRes ... nation=AIR

I know of only a few JROTC programs in my area that will work with a shooter before high school .... and then it is mostly summer shooting camps they will have .... MAYBE if they have some jr-high students in their district too. Here in NM, they have to be kinda careful as they are an "activity" under the NM activities association.

The High School JROTC programs have been extremely helpful to the 4-H program that I run. Summer camps, experienced coach camps are held a few times per year and kids from all over are welcome to attend these .... usually it's first come first served.

The CMP and NRA summer camps are superb as well.

You may find that going with an established "club" program is better in terms of logistics ... If I had the cash to spend and send my girls off every once in a while, there are some EXCELLENT club coaches in Colorado clubs ... same in Washington

-----
OK all that said .... why not coach her yourself? There is a Level-1 Rifle camp coming up at the end of Sept at Camp Perry. (Sept 23 & 24)
http://www.nrahq.org/education/training ... chools.asp ... then stay for the coach conference over the weekend.
If she is 15+, bring her to the camp for two reasons ... 1) She can be the primary training "dummy" and 2) She will become a "Junior Rifle Trainer"

Sure you'll have information overflow, but this sport needs coaches for all the disciplines. Don't worry about being a "beginner" coach ... those previously mentioned summer camps are what we are handing our kids "up" to.....
hank2222

she is under the age of

Post by hank2222 »

she is 9 year old she will be 10 year old next month so we are trying to get here into the school now before i move out of here
and trying to coach her my self i do not have the experince to do that
i learned to shoot in the military so my skill are more design for combat shooting style not realy the more olympic typle shooting skills that are need as with all the other parts of the olympic shooting has
again thank you for the help
iam looking at the following states to move to and put us into the shooting programs there her for as need and us for fun
new mexico
utah
colorado
montana
wyoming
this state that i would like to move to and finsh out my job and retirement
edlarson

Post by edlarson »

I am a 4-H coach in Montana and it is hard to identify the "best" program, what is that based on? We have some very successful shooters that seem to have the same last name as the coaches. That said, it is very hard to coach your own child. For a coming 10 year old I have to agree with Mr. Martin, find a 'club'. Now for the pitch line, 4-H programs have the range set up and are generally affordable and coaches must be certified. I have a young man (15) that just moved into the county that wants to shoot the percision, we have only shot sporter. We can teach the positons, sighting, scoring and the basics. After that is it contacts such as this page, other internet pages, magazines, phone calls, seeing coaches at meets and just getting imersed in the program. We have some resources such as coaches that have shot on the international level and one who has a family member with a gold medal. We are blessed by having her parents score our local meet, imagine having Olympic level scorers at your county meet! Keep asking and prying and looking and SHOOTNG!!!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Not trying to harp on you, but encourage you here:
and trying to coach her my self i do not have the experince to do that
i learned to shoot in the military so my skill are more design for combat shooting style not realy the more olympic typle shooting skills that are need as with all the other parts of the olympic shooting has
Many of the basics are the same .... a few days at a Level-1 school can get most of the "kinks" worked out. Even if you don't have the time to be the "main" coach at a club/program, I suspect you currently have more skills and knowledge than most programs have. 99.99% of the clubs would welcome more help

I'm a shotgun shooter, but my county needed a rifle coach, so I learned (still learning .....). As I said, most of us do the best we can then get the kids in front of the experts for the fine tuning.

Don't sell yourself short .... and hey, retired ain't dead
A.R. JAYNES

HIGH SCHOOL TEAMS

Post by A.R. JAYNES »

We have a good team at Sutter Union high School just out side of Yuba City ,40 miles north of Sac . also the Lincoln rifle Club is also a good
team . We have won 5 state championship's and a few national championships ,our sub jr team won this year for 3 p air for NRA
at our sec.air rifle match we had 96 shooters and H.Q. was out for the match. But a good team is year to year we lost most of our shooters this so it is a rebuilding year for 2009 . if i as a parent could move to advance my child i would move to C.S . to work at the training center best coaching around and a great place to shoot
mousehunter

Post by mousehunter »

Best is a difficult term to define.

My daughters 4-H program starts kids in 3rd grade (8 year olds). Our program is self described as "country style". We do not focus on competitive shooting. We focus on safety, fun, and sportsmanship. We are probably one of the most active 4-H shooting sports programs in the US. We teach a lot of kids how to enjoy the sport safely - that is how our program likes to define best.

That said, when state and national competitions come up, I don't think many 4-H programs bring home more medals. It is simply a byproduct of a lot of kids who enjoy shooting (coupled with tons of community and parent support - our range just celebrated it's 125th anniversary. I know volunteers who have been active in our program for 20-30 years).

As for parent coaching. Every parent is a coach, formal or informal, active or passive.
---
Good luck finding a program that fits your daughter.