AccuTrigger - how good ?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

JohnL

AccuTrigger - how good ?

Post by JohnL »

Our 4H shooting club is looking at buying Savage 22 rifles that have the so called “AccuTrigger”. I have never had the opportunity to try one so I would welcome comments on how good this trigger is for target shooting and how it compares to triggers on guns in higher price ranges.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

John - I have a Savage Model 93 .17 HMR that has an Accutrigger. I found it could not be adjusted to less than 2.5 pounds unless I monkeyed with the spring in the trigger mechanism and now have it down to about 15 ounces. However, the safety trigger (the trigger-in-a-trigger)makes you put your finger way out front of the actual trigger, right at the front of the trigger guard. Also, the trigger mechanism tends to "hang up" unless I pull the safety trigger directly back, but since I don't have large hands, reaching so far forward for the safety trigger, I tend to pull it slightly to the right, causing it to hang. The solution is to cycle the bolt, yuck. However, this rifle is truly amazing concerning accuracy, especially for a $224 rifle. I have replaced the synthetic stock and added a scope, and at 50 yards I can put 10 rounds in a single 1 cm hole. I have just less than $500 into the rifle!

However, compare that to my Anschutz 1913, and there's a whale of a difference.

If I didn't have a lot of money and wanted to get rifles in the hands of young learners, I'd go with the Savage. However, you might consider using something like an Anschutz 1451 like our local club bought its Junior program.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. many thanks
Guest2

Savage Accutrigger

Post by Guest2 »

I did the same thing with a Mk II. I took two coils out of the trigger return spring & got the pull down to about 10 ounces. I then placed it in a "match target" stock from Sharp Shooter Supply. The more vertical grip on the stock gives much better trigger control. SSS will cut a relief in the stock for the Williams rear sight for the CMP guns and mill the forend for an accessory rail.

The accuracy of the gun is quite amazing for the price. I routinely get outside groups of 10mm with SK Standard Plus.

Tom