Different holes for different ammo?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Telecomtodd

Different holes for different ammo?

Post by Telecomtodd »

Kind of an odd question, but last night my son noticed a difference in the holes in his A-23 50 yard target when using SK Match and Eley Black EPS. When the SK Match was used the holes were somewhat ragged. The Eley holes were very crisp like they had been created with a mechanical hole punch. I would think that ther might be a difference if there was a large velocity difference, but there's abotu the same velocity listed for both cartridges. Perhaps the SK bullet has more wind resistance and thus slower velocity at 50 yards? Not a biggie, but I had no answers for my son last night. Ideas?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Has the SK Match got the same flat bullet nose as the Eley EPS.

That is one of the advantages of the flat nose, it punches cleaner holes.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

It all has to do with the style of the bullet. The sk is a round nose and the eley eps black is more of a flat nose bullet so you will get cleaner holes with the EPS bullet. Eley has created a very nice design for there bullet that fly through the wind better with that style bullet. If you take a look at both rounds you will notice the difference and why the Eley has cleaner holes in the target.

Lax.