new website ideas sought.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

new website ideas sought.

Post by pilkguns »

looking to revamp the pilkguns site. What do you like, what do you not like? What would you change, what would keep. What is neat on other sites that you would recommend for us?

thanks for your thoughts

Any ideas implemented will get a free tin of Vogel pellets sent to them!
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Things I like on other web sites... user comments on items. Barring that, a more detailed write-up by yourself/one of the staff about the item. Fill in the blanks a little ~ the 'stock' descriptions on a lot of things leave a lot to be desired.

Better and more photos. Photos always sell items in private sales, I can't see how it could Not help a normal business.

Split up the price page. The jump often leaves me needing to scroll to find what I'm looking for more often than not. Actually, having the price with the item description is something I like on other websites.

One of the things I like about the current website are the 'training/coaching' articles. And the forums are a no-brainer to keep. :D

I'm not a huge fan of the layout, but I can't think of any that I really like or offer suggestions for improvement. Absolutely stay away from adding anything Flash based (website programming)... please. That stuff is way over-used and highly annoying.

I have one other thought, but I'm going to email that to you and see what you think.

Cheers,

Brian

ShootingAir.com
Last edited by Brian M on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

I cuncur on the simple concept - I can access this site and read everything using my PocketPC phone. It's useful when I'm waiting for the range to go cold or sitting in an airport, keeping in touch with what's going on in the sport. I've also been able to get several locals looking at this site by simply pulling it up and showing it to them wherever we are.

Todd Ellis
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

I often find that, for browsing, a paper catalog is far better than most web pages. Navigation is almost always a pain in web pages. Anything that can make the experience more like using a catalog is a plus IMHO.

Specifically, you should have prices with the descriptions. The separate price page is easier for you to maintain but not as convenient for the user. The new page with pictures helps a lot -- how about at least linking to the description of the item for all items (there for a few right now).

When I link to "Price list and buy," I want to go to that item, not the top of the page!

Conventional Pistol targets?

.22 ammo?
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Tab says "Targets & Pellets" but where are the pellets?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Drat! Brian M nailed most of it . . .

- Love the site; simplicity and ease of navigation is a big plus; dittos on what Telecom Todd said in that regard

- User comments ("rate the product") is a great idea and has become somewhat standard on e-tail sites

- More detailed product information (including more pictures) would be a plus in general

- Linking terms (price) etc and "shopping cart" functionality

- I'm sure you are benchmarking against other web based cataloguing/fulfillment systems; REI, 4wd, campmor, etc.

- The coaching/TenP stuff might could be organized a little differently . . . and keyword searches through that content would be a big plus. Maybe integrate the TargetTalk archiving (which is hard to use currently) with the other coaching stuff; with key word/key phrase searching would be awesome. You have a lot of valuable content here but it is a little cumbersome to use.

Thanks for asking!

Steve
Chris

Post by Chris »

Scott,

Photo for just about everything and more Photos for the items that make sense. Other angles would be nice. I was actually going to send you a note the other day asking if you could post some photos for the Morini comp so we could tell the difference between old and new.

It would be very nice if we could work this into a one stop shop for shooting. maybe a place to post links to results from major matches around the world if they are not at ISSF.

With all the AP's a way to compare them would be nice. Tech specs. I know it would be more work to maintain. Also better descriptions would be better for some items that are lacking. I have found myself having to go to other sites (mostly the mfg) to get the details I was looking for.

Thank you for wanting to make some improvements. Rapid and small improvements is the best way and in the end takes less time and effort.

Chris
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

One feature I would hope you don't change is the tab index on top of the page. I have been to other sites where the index is on the left and 1/3 of the viewing area is lost. Please keep the tabs.
Ben
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

At home, I am still stuck with dial up service living in a rural area, so I prefer pages that come up quick without a lot of fancy graphics that have a lot eye appeal but provide little help.

I also find it to be quite a challenge to find what I want as the web site gets more detailed. I will credit amazon and ebay with great ability to help me find anything I am looking for, espically when I have no idea what to call something. The paper catalog is still easier than most shooting web sites. Amazon offers a lot of information about a lot of products. I rely on Target Talk for product information.

Some of the competitors are doing a great job of showing some of the extras like spare barrels etc. Others show an item and have an option for more detail. you click on the "more detail" option and get a separate window, but no more detail.

I recently purcahsed pellets. H&N makes several grades, but trying to figure out what I could use for practise, or local matches or the National Championships is an intersesting question. Would Diablo Sport be satisfactory for training when I shoot in the 540 to 560 range? Some hints would be nice as the price will double as the grade improves.

I have a Pardini SP. Pardini made the SPE, then the SP (with older and newer versions), now the SP 1 and SP New. Are the barrels all interchangeable with each model? Are the muzzles with the counter weights interchangeable? The Pardini nor the US distributor's website gives no clue.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

Oh yeah, don't forget a currency converter for the US dollar to the euro!
tleddy

It has almost all been said...

Post by tleddy »

I very much enjoy going to your "Used" tab and seeing what is available. I bought an FWB AW93 directly because of the easy review as well as an air gun.

My thought is that, if nothing else, it builds traffic to the site and has the potential to get other sales.

Tillman
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Yes, Scott - please don't add any 'flash' web site programming. Incredibly frustrating (and time consuming) for those in countires where we only have a 'dial up' internet connection.
The tabs on the top of your web page is great. maybe expand a little more. (if too many they can always run down the side)
What I'd love to see is a 'spec page' on each of the firearms you sell, and if possible a section where your target talk contributors can add or submit their small idiosyncrasies they have discovered about the gun. (if this is not suitable for your web page, maybe something can be set up on the target talk pages) So for instance on the Morini 162ei spec page, there would be a section which would have bits of info like:
* if you have been adjusting the 1st and 2nd stage trigger weights and suddenly the electronic trigger does not function - check the second stage weight it's most likely to be due to your recent adjustments.
* If you have removed the grip and then replaced it again, and the pistol will not cock (the cocking lever when lifted automatically jumps forward) you may have over tightened the top grip bolt. Back it off a fraction and the pistol should cock.
I know we have the 'search' function on the TT site, but if possible it would be a super feature if 'odd' points like above, that are not coverd in the manual, could be all listed in a special section for each gun.
My opinion is that the ease of navigating on your site is the most important aspect, especially for new visitors. being able to click on a well described section (EG: competition air pistols) and then be able to back out to 'home' or a new area with a single click, makes searching for info easy. And, as we aren't talking/meeting face to face - it has the same effect as a friendly shop assistant. (maybe that's why we have the phrase user friendly!!?) For me, anytime I visit a web site that is hard to navigate or takes too long to load (usually because of flash programming) I abandon my efforts and look elesewhere.
An example of a great site to navigate (although a very basic/simple site in regards to products available) is targetworx.com.
Click on a subject matter - up comes lots of easy to understand info and prices. Their shopping cart appears user friendly too.
Note: I have no connection/affiliation with targetworx. (in fact I've never even purchasd from them)
A firearms related site that is very comprehensive and pleasant to navigate is airgunsofarizona.com
Thank you for the opportunity to contribute.
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

I am actually pretty knowledgeable in this area... So here are some of my thoughts:

I think overall the content of the website is very good, actually it's excellent and I like the fact that there are many links to other sites that have very useful informations about the sport. I have learn a lot about AP thanks to your website and I thank you for taking those extra steps. You have really created a community and this is an achievement to be noted.

The main problem as I see it with your site is poor design... By design I mean visual design as well navigation architecture. It's a bit all over the place and not very well organized and very inconsistent. Also I find the branding of your site somewhat poor, you are a business and your website should re-enforced your brand/business with more info about you, who you are, where you are, etc... And the best way to do that is through good interface design and strong branding.

As mentioned above, picture are good. And I agree with John I don't think Flash (although very cool) is necessary and it's a pain when you want to make changes.

Your e-commerce is probably what needs the most work, you should have pictures of everything you sell and have a "Buy" button next to the pictures of your products. Also I always favor sites that allow you to enlarge the picture of the product they sell so that you can see more details about what you are about to buy. You should also be able to give the shipping cost informations and shipping options as well as whether the item is in stock or not before checking out.

Post by Guest »

1. Better catalog views of your inventory - for instance, the ability to present all items by type (e.g. grips) and also by application a/o associated products (e.g. grips, parts, accessories, and base product for the AW 93). Ideally the catalog software will allow you to define custom indexes and views of your inventory.

Many of the features that people are requesting (e.g. reviews, tagging, product descriptions) can be accommodated by existing catalog applications. This should also conform the presentation of the catalog to 'templates' so that the layout and interface are consistent throughout.

I know that I've purchased items that you carry elsewhere due to the fact that I wasn't aware that you had them.

Beyond that, you might look into installing a Wiki. A wiki is a web publishing framework which provides easy editing, indexing, and referencing facilities. Wikipedia is built on a Wiki. It's a good way of developing reference resources.

Lastly take a look at some available Content Management Systems (CMS). These provide a framework for publishing a website that automates a lot of the rote work surrounding the presentation, editing, updating, and administration of a website.
[/url]
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Anonymous wrote:Beyond that, you might look into installing a Wiki. A wiki is a web publishing framework which provides easy editing, indexing, and referencing facilities. Wikipedia is built on a Wiki. It's a good way of developing reference resources.
looked at http://www.shootingwiki.org?

Spencer
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

John Ariani wrote:Yes, Scott - please don't add any 'flash' web site programming.
I agree completely about passing on flash. It can be annoying, and some lesser computer literate folks don't want to even load the software just to view a site.

I think wow-wee Web sites using flash mean more to the associated Webmasters than they do to most viewers of those sites. It's kind of an artsy-fartsy ego trip that the Webmasters get on. But, they often lose site of their target (excuse the pun) audiences.

Personally, I like sites that:

1) Are easy to navigate efficiently

2) Have interesting content.

Nothing irritates me more than going to a news site (paper, TV station, radio) that requires me to sign up just to read their darn pages. Yuk!

Stan