Walther GSP and SP Rule Changes?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Aguest

Walther GSP and SP Rule Changes?

Post by Aguest »

I have a friend that is interested in buying a late model GSP with a 2 stage trigger for use in the Standard pistol match. After checking the usual sites he came up empty so I had him call one of the two US Importers to check on used stock. One of the Importers informed my friend that the GSP is going to be obsolete due to a ISSF rule change that would only allow a 6" barrel???? This "rule" is to "go into effect in 2008" He did say the GSP would still be ok for NRA Conventional Pistol though.

The Importer was more than happy to suggest the purchase of an SSP......

My BS Meter is pegged at 11.

Anyone care to comment?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

"Only allow a 6" barrel"

Exactly?

Minimum?

Maximum?

Sounds like half the story at best.

Steve
Nev C

Post by Nev C »

As far as I know, the max barrel length allowed under ISSF rules is 153 mm ( 6 inches ), a shorter length is allowed.
Spencer

Re: Walther GSP and SP Rule Changes?

Post by Spencer »

Aguest wrote:My BS Meter is pegged at 11
11.9? Or is that on the Open Aguest Scale?

Spencer
fat-tony

Post by fat-tony »

It's either BS or (at best) someone misinterpreting the rules, which specify a 153mm barrel length with a 220mm sight radius. These are maximum values, although not stated explicitly in the table in 8.16.0. The diagram in 8.17.0 does clarify that the sight radius maximum is 220mm, though.

In any case, a rule change, if there was going to be one, would not occur until the year after the Olympics - i.e. 2009.
macca

Walther GSP and SP Rule change

Post by macca »

Dear Aguest,
Rules for post 2008 have been approved by the ISSF General Assembly at their meeting in Beijing during the ISSF "Good Luck Beijing" WC recently - get in touch with the delegate from your Federation if he was not sleeping he will be able to tell you of all or any cahnges to take place from 01.01.2009
Cheers
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

The current procedure for equipment check says "Measure the length of the barrel. Maximum length is 153 mm. Compensators, muzzle brakes, perforated barrels or any device (s) functioning in a similar manner are not allowed."

I'd be more than amazed if it was changed to "...must be 153mm."

For one, the Pardini SP would no longer pass, because it has a 120mm barrel. If the barrel were longer, the pistol wouldn't fit the box!

Sounds like BS-

Richard