853 Daisy ?

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

ky99

853 Daisy ?

Post by ky99 »

Do 853 Daisy rifles normally punch a clean hole in the target?The ones that the JROTC unit that I have been helping look as if they are key holeing.When I Took one home to rebuild,it was keyholeing both before and after the rebuild.I am used to precsion air rifles that punch a small clean hole.I am not expecting FWB quality out of Daisy but these are pretty bad.Also are the 887 Daisy's better.

Post by Guest »

The quality of the target paper can be a factor. You expect tearing of the target paper with the low velocity of some guns, especially if the humidity is high.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Agree with the guest above ..... the quality of the target paper here in the US has been a continual problem, especially with the lower velocity airguns.

CMP has gone to Europe now for targets for their electronic "Orion" scored targets which punch cleanly. But I'm sure that is pretty expensive.

A good (new) cardbard backer which the target is attached to can help an awful lot, but again, if it is not new cardboard (i.e. "old" meaning lots of holes and no support behind the paper) you will be back to the tearing.
If you have nothing but the target paper (no backing of any kind) you will have very frustrated scorers .... it just takes a lot more time to score the torn, rather than the punched holes.

Any of the compressed gas rifles (XS40, 888, 887, Edge, etc for sporter) should punch cleaner holes as they are slightly faster than the pneumatic sporter rifles.
edlarson

Post by edlarson »

We use backers made from tag board about as heavy as cereal boxes. We get it from a paint company, it comes between the layers of paint cans on the pallets. No cost, just need a utility knife and straight edge, good job for a parent. Look closely at the target and you should see a neat round imprint of the pellet face with a tear to one side. In the pistol we are shooitng Daisy 747's and use Edelman targets for our matches because of the improve cut and to keep the five shots scorable.
CitoriGirl

Post by CitoriGirl »

We have both the 853 and 887 rifles and have found that the 887 punches a very clean hole compared to the 853, UNTIL it starts losing power (co2). We have found that different pellets can make cleaner holes, too.

Our state shoot was held yesterday and I had a devil of a time scoring targets because the backers were so thick and the "holes" were just teardrop shaped. Even the co2 guns weren't cleanly punching holes. We have found that the best backstop is clean cardboard (no holes in it yet), an airspace of a couple of inches and sheet metal. We start off with a 2x4 frame, place a piece of plywood on the back and place the sheet metal in front of the plywood. Then at the front of the 2x4 we tack on the new cardboard. They are a little heavier to carry around but the metal smashes the pellets flat, doesn't allow any richochet and saves the plywood. We can also uncrew the plywood and take out the sheet metal and use the same frame for smallbore.