General Air Rifle question

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gnystrom

General Air Rifle question

Post by gnystrom »

Will anyone recommend a air rifle for general pest control? I have been out of the market for some time and I am not aware of the new models I see in stores. What works? Cost is not a real concern. General overall effectiveness is. Basement target and rabbits in the garden is the use.
Thanks
2650 Plus

Pest comtrol air rifles

Post by 2650 Plus »

You might take a look at chinese air rifles being sold by pyramid air arms. A 4x scope and a model 78 would do the trick as they are sufficiently accurate for the purpose you described ,have enough power to do the job and make very little noise. Rabbits are good eating so your garden may also produce meat for the table as well as excelent vegitables.Have fun shoot good and enjoy the rewards. Bill Horton

Post by Guest »

The typical air rifle that you'll find in a retail store is not appropriate for hunting. I suspect that you'll want one of the more powerful spring-piston variety. Try posting your question to this forum - http://straightshooters.com/chat/ they'll be more familiar w/ your requirements.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Best anti-rabbit device I've discovered, functional in all weather, day or night, is a cat!

Post by Guest »

Check out FX airguns, Daystate and BSA. I currently use a BSA super 10 .22 it has 30ft/lbs of hit and will take down small game mercifully. Match tigger and silencer. The rifle has 6 times the energy of a FWB P70 and has about half the muzzle crack.
Guest1

AirForce

Post by Guest1 »

There are some good spring goods made by RWS or Beeman that we have that you might be interested in such as the Beeman RX 22 Cal, RWS Model 46 in 177 Cal and others. We also have the AirFoce Condor and Talon Compressed Airguns. We are closing out these models and they are all NIB. If your interested in any of these models you can email me azgunspawn@gmail.com.
Russ57

Depends

Post by Russ57 »

You have a lot of choices that could work. More info is required. Is noise a factor? Are there restrictions on power levels where you live? How important is a quick follow up shot? What would be the longest distance that you would like to be able to kill a rabbit at? Do you want something as cheap as possible or something that is deadly accurate and will last a lifetime?

At the cheap end I'd consider a Chinese spriger or a Gamo. Next step up would be a RWS. Going up in price allows a lot of different brands to be considered. Personally I'd buy a German springer but England makes nice ones too.

A totally different direction would be a precharged rifle. Now you will need a scuba tank or hand pump. Overall costs go up quite a bit but so does power levels. Some models are very quiet and offer a quick follow up shot. Other models are just as loud as a .22 rimfire. Some are capable of deer hunting for that matter.

Powerful springers tend to be a little harder to shoot accurately and take some getting used to. But they are economical, self contained, and offer adequate power. If noise is a concern a multi-pump gun, like a Sheridan can get the job done (at close range).

So you have a lot of choices. You need to better define what you want in terms of accuracy, power, noise level, etc....and also price range. Airguns have come a long ways lately.

Russ