Electronic Targets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Misny

Electronic Targets

Post by Misny »

I recently shot my first air pistol match where the electronic targets were used. I was impressed with the target system, but I have a couple of questions. I didn't quite understand why the target had the black roll of paper that moved after a shot was fired. Is there any reason, other than giving the shooter a clean bullseye each time? Can the monitor be cleared of each shot after it is shown. I found that the accumulated 60 shots was a little distracting.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Misny:

The system uses microphones to "triangulate" ("quadrangulate?") on the sound of the pellet punhcing through the paper. Without a totally clean sheet of paper for each shot, you run the risk that the second/third/subsequent pellet would fall close enough to an existing hole (doesn't necessarly need to be a "double") to thow off the calibration.

Steve
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Oh sorry yes, for the Suis-Ascor system the compeitor does have the ability to "wipe off the screen" (Menu-Clear Screen IIRC). I would offer one (two) caution(s) though- first, if the competitor "messes something up" by playing with buttons the match director will not be amused; which leads to second, some match officials will give you a really hard time if you press any buttons other than "MATCH" (I have told that it was a DQ'ing offense to "attempt to reprogram the system" !?).

Steve
Fred.Mannis

Post by Fred.Mannis »

Last time I shot on electronic targets (Benning), I was told that I was NOT allowed to clear the screen. DQ was not mentioned, but was implied.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

8.6.3.2.1 It is essential that shooters familiarize themselves during training with the control buttons that alter the target presentation on the monitor screen (ZOOM facility) and that change from a Sighting target to a Match target (MATCH). In 10 m and 50 m events the change from sighters to match is under control of, and is the responsibility of, the shooter. If any shooter is in doubt, he must ask a Range Officer for assistance. In 25 m events the control and responsibility is by the range personnel.

In the event preamble the CRO used to give a bit about not using the 'Menu' button , but I have not heard this in recent years.
It is possible to REALLY muck things up on a firing point by playing with the Menu functions during a competition - all is not lost (the printer and the control computer will remember the shots fired up to that point), but I doubt the Jury would allow any extra time to compensate for time lost while things were sorted out for that firing point.

Spencer
Ted

Post by Ted »

Mike,
So glad you and your dad were able to shoot the match! I thought I had mentioned to you about why the backing advances every shot.
As far as clearing the screen you can normally do that with these targets but, Harry did not use that setting as we were shooting air pistol and air rifle on the same relay and infiltrating shooters and many were not familar with the electronic targets at all so to make it as simple as possible, the system was set up to shoot sighters and then punch the two buttons to clear the sighters and start the match. Adding any more would just be asking for trouble! It turns out that a shooter did try to push some other buttons while shooting and his monitor went back to sighters but as Spencer mentioned the printer and control monitor keep all the record shots and all turned out well. I have e-mailed you the resutls. the air rifle was quite a finish!
Ted
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Why not just set the targets to automatically reset the monitor after 10 shots?
Patrick Haynes

Black paper

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Also, the paper can be used to verify the actual shot value in case the system malfunctions or is set improperly.

I believe one or two years ago at the Munich WC in the Women's 25m Pistol Finals, one woman's rapidfire target was actually set for precision, but zoomed in so everyone (including herself and the officials) only saw black, believing it to be a rapidfire target.

Well, when she released her first shot and scored something like a 7, her coach raised his hand to signal a protest. The finals continued and she did poorly. Afterward, the protest was submitted, the error was detected and the paper was reviewed. The score was re-calculated and posted. I believe that she ended up medalling.

So, the paper fulfills more than one role.

Patrick
Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks for all the responses. That clears it up for me. It was a real hoot shooting on these targets. I hope I get a chance to do it again sometime.
Mellberg

Re: Black paper

Post by Mellberg »

Patrick Haynes wrote:Also, the paper can be used to verify the actual shot value in case the system malfunctions or is set improperly.

I believe one or two years ago at the Munich WC in the Women's 25m Pistol Finals, one woman's rapidfire target was actually set for precision, but zoomed in so everyone (including herself and the officials) only saw black, believing it to be a rapidfire target.

Well, when she released her first shot and scored something like a 7, her coach raised his hand to signal a protest. The finals continued and she did poorly. Afterward, the protest was submitted, the error was detected and the paper was reviewed. The score was re-calculated and posted. I believe that she ended up medalling.

Patrick
My coach has an impressive story that goes on and on over here when things like this is brought up:
At a training camp a shooter that hadn't shot FP for a couple of years showed up and was going to shoot his first shot in a long time. "Hey guys, watch this!" and he released the shot almost like in rapid fire. BLAM! Really fast! And the Sius target said 10,9! Everyone got impressed and was laughing because the shooter couldn't belive his eyes. The coach said "well, do it again!" Everyone was staring and he released another shot. Like 3,2 or someting. Then another 5,8. And another really crappy shot. After some 4-5 shots the coach noticed that the target was set for 50m Prone Rifle.

That first shot was a really good one. =)
Ralf

Re: Black paper

Post by Ralf »

Patrick Haynes wrote:Also, the paper can be used to verify the actual shot value in case the system malfunctions or is set improperly.

Patrick
Were you there at that time? 25m Sius targets has no black paper. Black rubber cloth is used instead. I would say that it's almost impossible to determine score just by looking at the rubber cloth since the holes are very difficult to locate and the rubber cloth moves very slowly after each shot. To get the correct score they eather were looking at the backing paper or just changed to the correct target type electronically on the Sius.

/Ralf