Number of Coaches on line for District Matches

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

SDrexler

Number of Coaches on line for District Matches

Post by SDrexler »

Can I sit behind my three team positions near the firing line to assist the parent coaches? Old cow barn wont allow for viewing from ready line.

Bartow GA will have 3 teams entered into this weekends district match. I still have parent coaches that still haven’t fully bought into the fact that site adjustments may need to be made at the onset of a new shooting day, between positions, and sometimes, during the course of fire. The shooters understand and will ask for assistance with adjustments (number of clicks, direction, etc) to be told their close enough.

The issue seems to be that the parent coaches aren’t comfortable making the adjustments for a variety of reasons, i.e. not sure which direction, how many clicks, won’t put their glasses on to see the arrow on the adjustment knobs.

The kids have worked way to hard only to fall short due to something as simple as a sight adjustment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Scott
2650 Plus

Coaching Position

Post by 2650 Plus »

Have you considered taking the coaches position behind the center shooter and scanning the targets of the other shooters on your team from time to time ? You may find that with young shooters more than on shot may be necessary before you identify a need for a sight change. The only problem I see is that you are now responsible for the miss placed groups. Have fun at the match and dont let your competitive drive feed over to your shooters. Good Shooting Bill Horton
SDrexler

Post by SDrexler »

Thanks Bill,

Actually have a safety valve for the competitive edge ~ my Wife is a parent coach for one of my twin girls on the team. I can feel the eyes upon me whenever I get even a hint over zealous. Honest, not one of those guys. Very fortunate that BB is a family event for us; not many things these days twin 13 year old girls enjoy doing with Dad ~ don’t want to mess that up!

I ask all our shooters to shoot a three round group into at least one sight in bull per position. I let them know this warms up their mind, body, and equipment. Some shoot 1 shot and away they go; others shoot so long trying to get a good group in the sight in bull that they rush to finish the series because they exhausted their time trying to get it just right. I just try to keep them to a happy medium.

You are correct on the one shot issue; I ask that they check themselves during a scoring round and if they felt consistent in mechanics after three shots, but the shots are falling consistently outside of the bull in the same location, and they really checked that it wasn’t bad mechanics, only then make site adjustments. Don’t want shooters chasing shots.

Really proud of the time and effort these kids put in. For over half the team, this is their first district match. Just don’t want them discouraged.

Calm and collected Bill, I’m hearing ya ;) Thanks.