How much does your hold/grip affect accuracy on a rimfire?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TargetTerror

How much does your hold/grip affect accuracy on a rimfire?

Post by TargetTerror »

My question was prompted specifically by a Savage Mark II with a heavy barrel that I just picked up, but I'd imagine the same issues would apply to any rimfire target rifle as well. My Savage shot ~.7 - .8 inch groups with CCI standard velocity and Wolf MT at 50 yards. I took it out to 100 yards yesterday, and my groups were in the 2 inch range or so for most ammo. I shot from the bench, used a sandbag for the forestock, and had a shooting coat on to steady my shoulders.

I want to be sure that I eliminate as much shooter error as possible, so I was wondering how important consistent grip pressure, pressure of the stock on the shoulder, placement of the stock on the shoulder, and cheek position are for a rimfire rifle? With my big bore revolvers, slight changes in grip and grip pressure can change POI by several inches at even 15 yards. Does the same thing happen with rimfire rifles, albeit on a smaller scale? I obviously tried to be as consistent as I could, but let's just say there is a reason I'm not on the olympic team quite yet...

Also, I was using a Caldwell bag front rest. Need I do anything to remove/reduce any tension that might develop from placing the gun on the bag, and then moving gun around to the bullseye? It felt sometimes that the gun was "jumping" upon firing, rather than just recoiling backwards. The "jump" seemed often to be to the left, and fairly consistent.
Smith2013

Post by Smith2013 »

Consistancy is the key to accuracy, even building up a pre-shot routine like the NBA stars have before they freethrow is a great way to build up consistancy and therefore accuracy.
JeffinTX

hold

Post by JeffinTX »

As you alluded to in handgun shooting, the consistency of the grip is critical to good groups. In rifle, consistency of NPA, sling tension, grip, cheek pressure, sight alignment, trigger control, etc are all critical to shooting good scores or tight groups. It is probably more evident in the .22 LR than in the centerfire rifles, due to longer lock time. A good ammo/gun combo in a good (match quality) gun should easily shoot 1" 10 shot groups at 100yd, prone, iron sights, with sling in favorable conditions. If not, than you need to check your equiptment, ammo, and technique.

Post by Guest »

For an off the shelf 22, two inches at 100 is pretty good. To get under an inch, it generally take very expensive ammo, excellent range conditions, and at least a semi custom barrel. For a quick example I have more than a few Anschutz silhouette rifles, and it has to be a really good day to get an inch at 100. So naturally the grip impacts the groups, but there are many other variables that make two inches at 100 look pretty good. The question of grip pressure is personal, but many condider a firm handshake as a norm.
Ter