maintaining the standard

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pandora_981

maintaining the standard

Post by pandora_981 »

have you all ever experienced shooting well in one competition and then doing badly in the next?

i have a question here- how do you shooters actually maintain the ability to shoot consistenly well in competitions and trainings? i find it rather hard to recreate the scene whereby i shot well.

thankyou beforehand to the people who respond to this.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Variation is naturally ocurring in all physical processes; the amount of variation can of course be lessened but never eliminated.

Google

- Statistical Process Control
- Process Variability Reduction
- Quality Control
- 6 Sigma
- Theory of Constraints

Basically you have to identify the underlying elements of hte process, determine the amount of variability in each, and chagne the process to reduce the amount of variability seri atem in those parts of the process that affect the total system the most.

Steve
RobStubbs

Re: maintaining the standard

Post by RobStubbs »

pandora_981 wrote:have you all ever experienced shooting well in one competition and then doing badly in the next?

i have a question here- how do you shooters actually maintain the ability to shoot consistenly well in competitions and trainings? i find it rather hard to recreate the scene whereby i shot well.

thankyou beforehand to the people who respond to this.
The very simple answer is that is happens to everyone but you can through training reduce the variability. If you train and rehearse the process and only think of the process and not the outcome, then you are a good way there. Another factor is to remove as many variables as possible so as to do as much as possible in the same way from match to match, training to training, and most importantly, training to match.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

Competitive shooting presents an interesting dilemma. Our goal, our reason for competing is to obtain a good score and improve score. But unfortunately, if you focus on score, you will never shoot a good score.

Look real hard in the mirror and will your self to shoot a 10. Pick up the firearm and tel yourself to shoot a ten. Shooting a ten might happen, but not consistently.

On the other hand, if you focus on the will yourself to use the correct behaviors and actions which lead to a ten, you will shoot the ten.

Can you identify the behaviors and actions from the good match; and what behaviors you did not perform consistently in the lesser match?

Now just go out perform the proper behaviors. (if only it was that simple) And expect your scores to go up and down. Look at the trend over several matches to determine if you are improving.
donthc

Post by donthc »

how well you will shoot depend largely on your mood for that day.

BUT, i believe that instead of simply sitting around to get into the "right mood", you can try to record down during training, the conditions you experienced, after every "good" shot. Also, write down tips which you find most effective in calming you down.

a "good" shot doesn't mean 10. its more of having a more ideal shot process, from aiming to triggering.

Keep these records with you during your competitions, and they seriously helps when you are feeling panicky after a series of screw-ups.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

donthc wrote:how well you will shoot depend largely on your mood for that day.
I remember my coach saying to me "skill is permanent, performance is temporary". Maybe "permanent" was stretching it a bit, but I knew what he meant.