Process of taking a firearm through the airlines

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

EdR

Process of taking a firearm through the airlines

Post by EdR »

I was just wondering the whole process of taking a rifle through the airlines such as locks, where to put ammo, tips, or any other info. Thanks
2many7s

re

Post by 2many7s »

Some airlines are easier than others (as I understand it) I am flying this week with one when my son goes to Colorado Springs for the Junior Olympics. We are flying American Airlines. I checked their website and the TSA website. I am packing the rifle in a hard sided case as required, with the ammo packed in the factory boxes (unopened) and stored in another checked bag. The rifle case has a TSA lock and a letter inside with my information incase there is any confusion. Get to the airport early and tell the ticket agent what you have. At my airport the TSA booth is next to each ticket counter, after I check in with the ticket counter I have to take the rifle case to the TSA booth where they inspect it and check it in. I am splitting some of his other gear up into our carry on bags; jacket pants, scope, glove, and boots.

I think there is a quantity limit on ammo but I am not sure. Download the permissiable items list from the TSA website. Read the TSA website well and also your air carrier site. Go to the airport a couple of days ahead of time and ask questions if possible.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

1. Check with the airline/s that they carry firearms (you could be travelling with more than one airline)
2. And ammunition
3. And conditions for carriage
4. Many (most) airlines require prior permission (request the permit, and carry it with you)
5. Get, and carry a copy of the current info in carriage of firearms and ammunition for the airline/s
- Murphy’s Law will mean that the check-in person for your queue will NEVER before have dealt with firearms or ammunition.
6. Firearms in separate locked luggage from ammunition – use TSA locks
7. IATA max is 5kg of ammunition in luggage
8. Ammunition must be proper packaging – I have not had any problems with reloaded ammo in commercial reloading cases
9. For International – avoid Singapore. They have their own system and fees, even for transit without changing planes
10. For International – check re situation for air guns, in many countries these are classed as firearms requiring full import/export and license paperwork
11. For international – full import/export and license paperwork

Spencer
methosb

Post by methosb »

I believe you also must pack the bolt (for smallbore rifle) in a separate case from the rifle... if I am remembering correctly.