Scopes

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Telecomtodd

Scopes

Post by Telecomtodd »

I'm reading that in certain competitions, iron sights are used, but there is a category for "any sight". I take that to mean a scope. If you had an Anschutz 1913, what scope would you put on it?

What scopes are others using?
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

The weaver T24 is very popular. I had a Leupold 6.5x20 efr and did not like it because it had very long eye relief.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

I like my Leupold 24X but as Pdeal mentioned eye releif is a little long and the mount/ring set up does not allow me to put the scope forward much creating an unfortable cheek position. I like my Weaver T20 as well. It seems like a good scope - good optics and very accurate click adjustment.
1813benny

scope

Post by 1813benny »

Leupold 6.5-20x EFR. Use a rail on top of the action and eye relief is not a problem.

There are other action mounted scopes out there, but I personally do not have experience with them. Also, you don't want to go too high in magnificaiton - no more that 24x for prone. Variable power is nice for position, as you can lower it for standing and kneeling.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Field Target shooters often use 10M rifles (modified for higher power) with scopes. Most shooters use the BKL mounts with scopes of up to 60X power. One of the (arguably) best scopes is the Leupold Competition 35X but for field target it needs some modifications from Leupold to adjust the close focus (10 yards instead of 12 or so) and a better reticle (heavy duplex is what I use).

BKL makes offset mounts to get around the eye relief problem.

Best,

Joe
aguncrank

scopes

Post by aguncrank »

I guess the old shooters are gone. I scope my .22s with Lyman target spots, Unertls or for the internal adjustment type Redfield 3200s
WarWagon

Re: scopes

Post by WarWagon »

aguncrank wrote:I guess the old shooters are gone. I scope my .22s with Lyman target spots, Unertls or for the internal adjustment type Redfield 3200s
The only downside is that most new barrels are not tapped for scope base mounts out far enough to accomodate those scopes. They're also very heavy for use in any position matches.
TomN

Post by TomN »

I guess I am an old shooter, as I mount a Redfield 3200 on Anschutz 1413. The 3200 really is a heavy beast, however, and drastically alters the feel of the rifle in standing -- Not too bad in prone or kneeling. Modern scopes cost an arm and a leg, and I shoot half my matches with iron sights, so I'm sticking with the Redfield.
REfromMN

scopes

Post by REfromMN »

I am just getting back into shooting now that my kids are shooting and can join me at some matches. Its been awhile, just shot a prone match last fall, first match since the mid 90's. Anyway I guess I too am old, I have a 16x Unertl. However I have been considering the purchase of a Leupold (would this make me younger???) At the very least I would think it would help for 3p/4p outdoor matches and hopefully wouldn't hurt in prone matches.

Any thoughts regarding barrel mounted scopes vs receiver mounted scopes for prone shooting?

TomN, any chance you were once a bus_mover? If so, then we came from the same junior club.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

As a follow up (and a big thank you for the suggestions), I've selected a Nikon Monarch model 8427 6-24x50 SF with the UCC glass, 1/8 MOA adjustments, fine crosshair, side focusing. I'm going to mount it with Anschutz 1" rings to a 6811 mount. We'll see how it goes.

Post by Guest »

Hey, REfromMN! If memory serves you left town and took my beloved 1407 with you! Glad to hear you're back in the game. Perhaps our paths will cross again. Good luck to you and your children.