G + E Stock Question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

methosb

G + E Stock Question

Post by methosb »

Hey guys,
First time posting, great to find such a good forum about target shooting.

I am in the market for a new rifle. I have been looking very seriously at the G + E RS III but there is one thing about it that bothers me. I am 6'2" and have fairly long monkey arms and I am unsure whether this is going to be long enough. If you look at the back end of the stock where the butt plate attaches, it looks quite a bit shorter than most stocks, at least an inch.

I know you can get the longer attachment for the buttplate but I am still a little worried about it. I suppose if it isn't long enough I can always slap on plates to the butt but would prefer not to.

There is unfortunately no one in my area that has a stock I can test with.

Does anyone know if it is actually shorter once everything is setup compared to an FWB or Anschutz? And if so, has anyone known of someone having a problem with it?

Thanks.
Last edited by methosb on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

It is shorter than typical. I would think, as you say, it would be pretty easy to extend with spacers if needed.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

I have a G&E RSII with a 2013 action. When I ordered it since I'm 6'3" I figured that I'd need the long length of pull option. Three clicks out on this version was perfect for me in prone. Problem was in offhand and kneeling with the LLP all the way in I was way to far away from the sight. I order the short length of pull piece from Champion's Choice and while I could use another click out on prone it works out just fine, all the way out for prone, all the way in for offhand and kneeling. Now I'm much closer to the sight in OH and KN.

I do wish the forearm was another inch longer though, it does work just fine as is but my bipod winds up right next to my handstop in the very end of the rail.

Buy it, you'll love it.
Last edited by Hip's Ax on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
methosb

Post by methosb »

Hip's Ax wrote:I have a G&E RSII with a 2013 action. When I ordered it since I'm 6'3" I figured that I'd need the long length of pull option. Three clicks out on this version was perfect for me in prone. Problem was in offhand and kneeling with the LLP all the way in I was way to far away from the sight. I order the short length of pull piece from Champion's Choice and while I could use another click out on prone it works out just fine, all the way out for prone, all the way in for offhand and kneeling. Now I'm much closer to the sight in OH and KN.

I do wish the forearm was another inch longer though, it does work just fine as is by my bipod winds up right next to my handstop in the very end of the rail.

Buy it, you'll love it.
Thanks, this is some great info. You are making me wonder whether I should get the short attachment now. May I ask if you have a long neck and do you use sight raisers? This might give me a better idea of whether you would have a similar length/body shape to me.

I tend to have quite a lot of distance between my cheek and the top of my upper arm (where the butt would sit when in standing position). So I have always used sight raisers (often two sets) and some extension on the butt.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

I always use high sight blocks (risers) on my position rifle. This is mainly for offhand as even with the butt plate all the way down (I even took it off the carrier and moved it down a bolt hole) I still needed the sights higher. I'm currently using 20mm risers and things are fine as best I can tell.

I do have a set of 30mm risers , I had these blocks in my kit and since I want to get the 9" bloop tube (I use a 27" barrel) off for offhand as I think it moves the center of gravity too far forward I have put an old set of sights on them and I will merely switch sights (and risers) and remove the tube for offhand and put the tube and 20mm risers and sights back on for kneeling.

I am using ESP risers and the Anschutz 7020 rear sight and a Anschutz Duo front in prone and kneeling with the 9" tube. I'm using a really old Anschutz rear sight on the 30mm risers with the Anschutz 6832 front for offhand, as of right now the offhand set is untested.

Frankly I wish I could have NO risers for prone, 30mm for offhand (I think) and the 20mm seems nice for kneeling.

For scope I use a Weaver T24 with the Anschutz rings and the Anschutz scope rail. This set up seems perfect.

I would order the short length of pull, the long length of pull was a mistake for me and I would imagine it would be for you as well. That chrome piece is about $100 US so its a rather expensive lesson.

As far as the length of my neck I'm afraid I'd have to have someone measure it for me. :)
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
methosb

Post by methosb »

Where is the point on the extension where the long one is all the way in? I'm guessing it is where the teeth start.

http://www.gruenelshop.ch/ac_includes/i ... 2&check=ok
methosb

Post by methosb »

Hrmm, if I get the long one and it is too long I am sure I can get some machinist to cut a little bit of it out and put the end back on it... maybe. Would be cheaper than buying a new one in either occasion...
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Its hidden by the short length of pull piece. Theres a "brace" or whatever you want to call it about 1 inch from the back end of the LLP. Trust me, you need the short one.

One of my friends had his LLP cut and welded into a SLP rather than pay $96 plus shipping. It works but looks kind of rough.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

I'm assuming your going to be shooting position, if so I strongly recommend the short length of pull.

If your going to be shooting prone only then I'd go with the long.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Methosb, I should point out that I am not the best shooter, I hold a marksman classification in position. My prone scores are almost always in the high 90's on the A36, kneeling on a bad day is high 80's on a good day its in the mid 90's. Offhand is awefulhand for me, 60 and 70's.

But I am improving.

I wanted to state this so you can take my information as offered by one who will never get a gold medal in the Olympics.

Just wanted to provide some context.

In any event I've spent the last two winters figureing this rifle out and think I am quite close to having it be everything I wanted. A BIG improvement over my old warhorse SuperMatch 54 circa 1955 or so. I'd never go back.
methosb

Post by methosb »

Thanks for all the info mate.