London games

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Smith2013

London games

Post by Smith2013 »

I dont know what all of the gun laws are in britain, but I know that they are pretty strict, like the olympic pistol team has to train in france, but what about the 2012 games, will shooters have to go to france or somewhere else, or will olympians get a free pass type of thing to be able to shoot?
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

As I understand it, there is a special exemption for major competitions. That being said, I suspect that the security will prove most vexing to the competitors.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I don't think the competitors will notice much difference from any other Olympics.

Pistols will be stored in a central armoury and will be collected on range for smithing, training and competition.

The thing they will notice is that they will be separated from spectators by security screens. Only approved personnel will be allowed through those screens.

The same arrangements were in place for the Commonwealth Games in 2002 and the Commonwealth Shooting Federation Championships in 2001. Maybe one of the competitors from then could comment on whether they found it unusually difficult.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

David's right, you don't go waltzing around with your gun at any Olympics so it will be no different.

The only difference will be shooting from the cage (at least thats what it was at the Commonwealth games). I guess this is to protect the crowd in case a target shooter goes mad or wants to toss his pistol to the crowd. That part is really silly, but shouldn't be any bother to the shooters.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Richard H wrote:David's right, you don't go waltzing around with your gun at any Olympics so it will be no different.

The only difference will be shooting from the cage (at least thats what it was at the Commonwealth games). I guess this is to protect the crowd in case a target shooter goes mad or wants to toss his pistol to the crowd. That part is really silly, but shouldn't be any bother to the shooters.
Just curious - do these procedures apply to shotgun as well?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Fred Mannis wrote:Just curious - do these procedures apply to shotgun as well?
I doubt if there will be a security screen but I would still expect central armoury storage.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Fred Mannis wrote:
Richard H wrote:David's right, you don't go waltzing around with your gun at any Olympics so it will be no different.

Just curious - do these procedures apply to shotgun as well?
Come on, don't you know only handguns are evil, they make other wise normal people insane, haven't you heard?
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Richard H wrote:Come on, don't you know only handguns are evil, they make other wise normal people insane, haven't you heard?
I guess this means the archers don't have such screens either, eh?
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

TomAmlie wrote:
Richard H wrote:Come on, don't you know only handguns are evil, they make other wise normal people insane, haven't you heard?
I guess this means the archers don't have such screens either, eh?
But screens are needed to protect spectators from 100mph hockey pucks. What an insane world we live in.
PaulT

Junior Nordics

Post by PaulT »

Just spotted that the Junior Nordics (Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Denmark & Great Britain) will be in London in 2012. With provision for the Olympic Games in place in 2012, this is ideal opportunity to host as the event would include mandatory events requiring these special provisions described above.
Richard H

Re: Junior Nordics

Post by Richard H »

PaulT wrote:Just spotted that the Junior Nordics (Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Denmark & Great Britain) will be in London in 2012. With provision for the Olympic Games in place in 2012, this is ideal opportunity to host as the event would include mandatory events requiring these special provisions described above.
???