Shooting chrony - which model?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

IPshooter

Shooting chrony - which model?

Post by IPshooter »

Guys,

I'm going to bite the bullet ;-) and buy a chronograph. I hear good things about the Shooting Chrony, but they seem to have multiple models. I would like to hear recommendations about which model to buy. I'll use it for .177, .22 and .32. I don't see the need for a printer, but the remote control seems useful.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Stan
Cricman

Post by Cricman »

I have an old green Shooting Chrony that doesn't even have screens (and won't ever- I spoke to the folks of Shooting Chrony at the SHOT show and they informed me tht I have a model so old, it can't even be upgraded), but it works fine on the shady side of my workshot for testing my airpistols. Sure, I have to write down numbers, but a spreadsheet calculates the rest; average, spread, and standard deviation. Unless you need bells and whistles and remotes, the basic model works fine.

cricman
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

I bought a Beta Master that has the remote and a pretty good memory from the SHOT show this year.

Works pretty good although I bought it mostly for rifles and my Contenders.

It picks up pellets easily from my Steyr at 528.5 fps.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I have the Basic model as well and built my own remote instead of buying one, but I have lots of parts and stuff and work with electronics. All I used was a plug, some wire and a momentary switch. I must confess that I do sometimes think the printer would be nice, but can't justify the cost. I also write things down and transfer to a speadsheet, or take a laptop with me and skip the pencil/paper intermediate step.

The unit aggregates all the data from the first shot on, but I like to deal with ten shots at a time, so I find myself resetting it after the tenth shot.

A last thought - I used my unit quite extensively when I first got it and once when I was having an air gun issue, but other than that, it hasn't been out much. If you've got something specific in mind that won't be continuous, you might consider borrowing one. Of course, having one handy at a moment's notice is always nice.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
U.S. Air Force Competitive Shooting Teams
Things of Interest to Bullseye (and International) Competitors