Why PayPal?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Freepistol

Why PayPal?

Post by Freepistol »

I thought payPal and the parent company, eBay, were documented as being anti-gun. If that is true, why do I see so many people on here requesting payment for their equipment using payPal? I will not knowing give any of my dollars to fuel the efforts of the anti-gun goofballs.
Ben
randy1952

Research

Post by randy1952 »

I think Ebay/PayPal's decision on guns was mostly a business decision. Especially when you read that Ebay had to settle with New York (Elliot Spitzer) over the sale stun guns. You have a choice as business person fight the government law suits, which in state's like New York, they will spend the tax payers last dollar to win or give into their extortions. There aren't many businesses that has the resources to stand up to all the suits that the government can throw at you. The heavy hand of liberal governments has been the main reason for the closure of many gun stores.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The main reason is convienence, where else can an average person except credit card payment? Most people want to get the transaction completed quickly, sure you can do money orders, take you a day or so to go to the bank or post office (plus the expense of the money order). then you have to mail it 4-5 or more days, then I'll ship you whatever you bought. So you're looking at almost a week before I even ship the product to you. With pay-pal I usually get the article in a week.
OzzieM

Why PayPal?

Post by OzzieM »

So, what I am seeing here is: when principle runs into convenience, convenience rules.

No, I don't use PayPal.

OzzieM
bigred

Post by bigred »

Well there's also the more practical aspects of buying shooting equipment from a different jurisdiction where the currency may be different. If it wasnt for paypal, I wouldn't have been able to purchase items from the US, UK and elsewhere in Europe and have them shipped to me here in Ireland.

There's no dedicated Target Shooting shops in Ireland so I have to get most of my stuff from the UK and elsewhere in Europe, almost all of which requires paypal. I'm thankful to paypal for allowing me to enjoy my sport.
Fred Mannis

Re: Why PayPal?

Post by Fred Mannis »

OzzieM wrote:So, what I am seeing here is: when principle runs into convenience, convenience rules.

No, I don't use PayPal.
I'm glad that you are a person of principle. However, you make a big assumption in implying that everyone has the same principles that you do.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

OzzieM wrote:So, what I am seeing here is: when principle runs into convenience, convenience rules.

No, I don't use PayPal.

OzzieM

Good for you. The other question is how much do you actually buy online.? I suggest not much if you can actually get by without using PayPal.

There are banks and credit card companies that too have anti gun policies, you should look into them to.

Do you use cash, well the Government of Canada also is anti-gun so maybe you should stop using cash too.
Last edited by Richard H on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

I have never used either service, so please don't flame the messenger, but I think Google Checkout offers similar convenience. See: https://www.google.com/accounts/Service ... efault_new
slinger

Post by slinger »

How about this service >>> https://www.gearpay.com/

Anti gun companies such as Pay Pal should net recieve support from shooters. And yes,,,I DO buy alot online. Just my opinion!
OzzieM

Post by OzzieM »

Fred Mannis wrote:
OzzieM wrote:
I'm glad that you are a person of principle. However, you make a big assumption in implying that everyone has the same principles that you do.
O, come on Fred, how do you jump to the conclusion that I imply everyone has the same principles I do?

And you, Richard H - I have bought four guns online the past three years, ammunition, and I am in the process of buying a Steyr LP10 online. Perhaps that is not a lot by your definition. The rest of your comments is just a bit over the wall to deserve a response...

I never thought anyone would find my observation that offensive. I'll tread more lightly in the future, o.k.?

OzzieM
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

OzzieM wrote:
Fred Mannis wrote:
OzzieM wrote:
O, come on Fred, how do you jump to the conclusion that I imply everyone has the same principles I do?

And you, Richard H - I have bought four guns online the past three years, ammunition, and I am in the process of buying a Steyr LP10 online. Perhaps that is not a lot by your definition. The rest of your comments is just a bit over the wall to deserve a response...

I never thought anyone would find my observation that offensive. I'll tread more lightly in the future, o.k.?

OzzieM
Didn't find it offensive in the least, a little sanctimonious but not offensive. There is more than guns to buy online. The rest of my post is fact, unfortunately everyone can't plan their whole life around guns.

Four guns and some ammo over 3 years isn't really a lot of online activity, In the last year bought about a dozen vintage razors, other wet shaving supplies, electronics, and a few thousand dollars in clothing. To use money orders would have cost me $100's more and lots of time.

I'm a little more bothered by your last post, you can state your opinion, but I shouldn't be able to state mine cause I don't agree with you.

Until there is a real alternative I'll use Paypal when I have to. When I buy on line from an actual store I use my Visa, it provides some level of protection too, when I buy from ebay or individual I use paypal if asked, it too provides some protection. Money orders and cash provide no protection.

I also bought a $3000 dollar rifle online and paid by credit card only to have to do it again because the credit verification company dropped the business because they won't do verification work for online firearm sales. They are one of the largest verification firms in North America so I hate to tell you lots of your transactions everyday go through their system. The problem I have is that people are beating on one thing and advocating moving to other systems which they have no idea what those who run those companies beliefs are. Ebay and Paypal have made a business decision like others have pointed out it has more to do with buisness than politics, there is no evidence that eithe rof these companies actually financially support the anti's, like the some of the banks in Canada have done.

If you don't like their business practices don't use them, I haven't seen anyone telling you other wise. I on the other hand will use them when required and don't need you or others telling me not to either, or implying I don't have principles.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Richard H wrote:...everyone can't plan their whole life around guns...
Not according to MY wife!

I was a shooter when we met
I was a shooter when we married
I am still a shooter

(God bless her) She continues to provide the essential infrastructure for a husband that disappears for days/weeks around the country and the world - AND ensures the bills are paid.

Spencer
NY_Rifle

paypal was paypal

Post by NY_Rifle »

Lest now also forget that PayPal was started as PayPal and though EBay may have purchased them, they were not always owned by EBay. I cannot fault the small company for the policies of the parent company.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Here's a senario

"Jerk buys gun off ebay, goes on rampage, kills a bunch of people, then turns gun on self"

How long do you think it will take lawyers in the US to file lawsuits sueing Ebay for allowing this mentally ill, abused sole for obtaining a firearm from there website. How much do you think they would get from Ebay, how much do you think it would cost ebay to defend themselves agianst such a lawsuit.

If you want to place blame try placing it on the lawsuit crazy American public, which unfortunately is catching on and spreading all over the world. Can't blame a company for protecting itself and investors from the society that the american public, politician, lawyers and judical system have made.
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

If you chose not to use PayPal that is certainly your choice and nobody should fault you for it. Just curious though, do you check out every transaction that you use your credit card for? I would wager that there are plenty of credit card transactions that you engage in that are with local merchants who are anti-gun proponents. I do not judge anyone for being pro-gun or anti-gun, that is a choice that they make and, at least in the U.S., is something that they are allowed to decide for themselves. I use PayPal becasue, as Richard said, it provides me a method to complete the transaction quickly and efficiently. Just my thoughts.