Smallbore Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RifleNicky

Smallbore Rifle

Post by RifleNicky »

Sooo.... I am not persay a "new" shooter but i have about as much knoledge about the rifles as a new shooter would.

I am a 61'' (5'1') 145lb female. right now i shoot an Anschutz 1813. It's a wood stock and i had Steve Moore cut the stock as far as it could go as well as modify (take out two inches of mechanics) the butplate. as well as shorten the barrel. it is now a hair over 14lbs (which i dont mind) but its SOOOO long!!!! my shoulders are off set in prone its so long.

My coach always tells me that whatever gun i get it's my choice (i know this) and most of the big names all work fine. but i need help choosing a new rifle (and i desperatly need one, well atleast befor next seasion)

Any ideas or sugestions of me??
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

well if your 1800 is still shooting good i would keep it if i was you. What you might want to do is just replace the stock. for a smaller frame one. If you want to replace the stock. Here is a very good stock with the smallest frame that is offered out there. If you scroll down to the 703, thats the one.

http://www.hps-tr.com/prods_ultra_stocks.asp#fr703

If you want to get a new rifle i would look at the ANS 1912 sport rifle. That is a smaller framed stock that was made for women originally. Even that might be too long for you. I know of some people having that stock also cut down.

Hope this helps.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Last summer I bought my son who is 11 a Grunig & Elmiger stock for exactly that reason. From what I have seen the Anschutz alu stocks are very long in the butt (pull length). The Grunig stock is short there and is the nicest made stock I have seen. I put a very light barreled action in it. It is actually a silhouette barreled action with a very light bloop tube. My plan is to put a heavier barreled action in as he grows but try to maintain the balance as it is more or less. Really, that is one of the nice things too about the 2013 action. You can get one with the short barrel and a bloop tube or you can change to a longer barrel to get more weight out front.
RifleNicky

Post by RifleNicky »

since i realy dont know the differance between these rifles or stocks and such... are the one's listed above good for a college shooter?? cause i am one. (not sure how i made it this far w/ such little knoledge on the subject)
laxratnd

yes

Post by laxratnd »

The stock i told you about would be excellent for college level shooting. I shoot for college also here in NY and i want to get one of the Gemini stocks.

Post by Guest »

Both the Swiss-made Grunig & Elmiger RS Revolution and the British-built System Gemini FR703 are machined from aluminium and are very strong. Both can be minutely adjusted to suit your position, far more so than an 1813.

I'm biased towards the Gemini, as I use their older Ultra model. All the Gemini stocks have a shallow fore-end and a short butt, both good for smaller framed shooters. The Gemini butt-plate is superb, it can be molded around the shoulder more closely than any other, although most shooters do use separate prone/standing/kneeling buttplates to avoid re-setting. They are quite popular here in Britain, with several top shooters using them. However they aren't cheap.

Tim S

Exeter UK
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Tim,
How do you like the Gemini ultra stock. I am thinking of getting one for my 1913 super match. I have a wood stock on there but i was looking into getting the Gemini for some more adjustment. yeah they are not cheap. I also am a college shooter.

stephen

Post by Guest »

Stephen,

I like the Ultra, it is an improvement over my old 1813 stock. The cheekpiece in particular is much better, I can adjust the height while in position, something I just couldn't do with the 1813. lateral adjustment does need to be done out of position though.

As on my last post the buttplate is superb. You'll see lots of these on firing points in the UK, often as repalcements on other stocks, I had mine on my Anschutz stock. The allen-headed bolts that hold the plate in place are a pain, fiddly and can strip. I replaced mine with the same plastic-headed sort used to lock the cheekpiece.

The Ultra fore-end is quite wide, I found that the left-hand wood batten put pressure on my thumb, until I shaved it down. I had tried removing the batten, but the straight edge and my hefty cant made this painful; the FR703 stock is more rounded, I know of one Gb shooter who is comfortable withoth the wooden battens.

I don't really need the shallow fore-end as I'm tall, but I'm comfortable with raiser blocks under the sights. Friends who are shorter have found the shallow fore-end to be a great benefit to fit. I'm not sure about Knibb's claims on recoil reduction being noticeable, perhaps with the fullbore version.

The Ultra is heavier than the FR703, mine is an early model without the flutes by the trigger guard, lots of solid aluminium; the metal relieved by the action and at the fore-end does make a difference.

The articulated grip looks to be very comfy. The Ultra grip is good, some people have used epoxy to build it up, others haven't, much as with other wooden butt sections.

I was lucky and bought mine used, the previous owner had upgraded, only £450.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Tim,

Thanks for the advice. I would go out and get one if it didnt cost 2300. Thats the thing that is holding me back. I might find a used ANS aluminum stock and throw a Gemini butt plate on. I think this would be a nice setup for cheaper.

stephen
RifleNicky

Post by RifleNicky »

well what would be a good choice that wont cost me more than tuition?
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

I'd keep an eye out for a 1912 stock and have it cut down if you're in a pinch. I don't recall offhand if the aluminum stocks are shorter in the rear than the wooden ones. It is also possible to machine down various parts of the carrier to make things shorter.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Yes I agree. I have one of the older 2012's and they are great stocks too and a little shorter in the butt. This is basically the same as the 1912 stock from the time- about 2000 I think was when that was made. Not sure about the newer 1912's.
cmj

Post by cmj »

My daughter , also 5 ft 1 inch shoots with the 2012 stock and likes it a lot. If you look at the butt plate you can shorten it a little more by cutting one of the bolts about .5 in. Otherwise one of the bolts stops before the other one does. About a half inch gain. Replacing the allen head screws for the cheek piece and butt plate with the little levers or knobs make changing real easy also.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Trouble is the dummies have discontinued some of the nicest stocks they ever made.