Boots

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

ShooterDad

Boots

Post by ShooterDad »

My son wants shooting boots and I need some advice. What is the difference between the $120 models and $250 models?
The lowest I've seen is $120 for Menard and the highest $270 for KurtThune - is the later worth the money?

What models do you recommend?
Any suggestions?
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

i am a big fan of sauer shooting boots. I have them and they are very nice.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

In general ... fit & comfort .... each person's foot is different.

My daughter had borrowed a pair of KT and used them for a year.

When we went into Neal Johnson's to get her her own, we tried on every make and I told her we'd get the ones she wanted .... she did not even know the prices.

If you have a place you can go to try them on, that's your best bet .... they are athletic gear after all ...... In a 60 shot standing match, that's gonna be a long time on his feet in a pair of boots that may not feel great......

Probably doesn't help that much ... sorry.
If you can get some of these places to send you a few types to try on???

BTW .... guess which ones dad ended up paying for ....... :-o
Last edited by jhmartin on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

The above person said it best. It is really what fits him the best.

Re: Boots

Post by Guest »

ShooterDad wrote:My son wants shooting boots and I need some advice. What is the difference between the $120 models and $250 models?
The lowest I've seen is $120 for Menard and the highest $270 for KurtThune - is the later worth the money?

What models do you recommend?
Any suggestions?
My recommendation is to stay away from the AHG brand. The lack of support in the rear section just above the heel area is prone to collapse - the leather folds in on itself and considerably reduces the ability of the boot to support the ankle. The folding also creates a very unconfortable situation. I would highly recommend the Sauer brand - they have good construction - my daughter's boots have lasted for two years without any sign of collapse.
randy1952

Boots

Post by randy1952 »

The club has tried the AHG, KT, and Sauer boots. The Sauer has proven the best boot in giving support in our opinon. The only thing we had to do was put a better in sole pad in the boot.
WRC

Post by WRC »

It will really be which boot fits his feet the best. If you can wait about half a year, and live close enough, go to Camp Perry Ohio, or maybe the USAS Nationals, where there are vendors with equipment to actually try out. Or have him try boots of teammates or other competitors, etc.

A local boys team has had success with the cheapest boots - sorry I don't remember the supplier. The kids will probably outgrow anything before they actually wear them out anyway!

Personally, I also tried on a bunch of them at Perry, and found the AHG Lady Stenvaags to be the widest & most comfortable for MY FEET. Note that I am a female shooter. :^) Coach Paula