M9 Service Pistol- Best Ammo?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

GringoEd

M9 Service Pistol- Best Ammo?

Post by GringoEd »

I just received my M9 Service Pistol built for EIC Leg Matches. Information on the best ammunition or handloads is scarce. 115 gr. FMJ Black Hills is available from Fulton Armory. The AMU uses a load from Atlanta Arms, but I cannot find any retailer or distributor who is selling it. The 124 gr. FMJ bullet is CMP "legal" too. What are you folks using and where do you buy it. My barrel is a KKM and is a 1/32 twist ( I think?).
Thanks!
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Who built your gun?

The gunsmith who built your gun should have at least a recommended starting point?

Steve Swartz
jackh

Post by jackh »

This taken from the Bullseye-L list. Use only after your own confirmation.

Winchester 115 gr FMJ RN Hollow Base bullets.
either WSF or VVN330. Your choice and about 4.8 - 5.0 grs
Set the OAL to 1.120" max.

Both powders work well in my M9
Don

Post by Don »

David Sams, MSG (Ret), USA, who developed the Army Marksmanship Unit national match M9, has recommended the following CMP legal load in his pistols:

Starline brass
115gr Hornady FMJ-RN bullet
6.0 - 6.2gr Alliant Power Pistol powder
Rem #5 1/2 SP primers
O.A.L. -- 1.120" no-crimp

It shot well in my pistol: I made Distinguished and President's Hundred with it.

Atlanta Arms contact information:

Atlanta Arms and Ammunition
721 Vine Circle
Social Circle, GA 30279
(770) 464-2203

This information is several years old. At the time, they were happy to drop ship two cases of their 9mm match ammo to my door. They also used Starline brass and Hornady 115 bullets: round nose for CMP legal ammunition, and hollow point for match. I have no idea what powder and primers they used.

Regards,
Don