Distance between aiming eye and iris sight

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Distance between aiming eye and iris sight

Post by tsokasn »

Hello everyone.
I have heard some thoughts for this topic.Some say 10cm,others say close to the iris.I find in my occasion that close to the iris is best for me(steady head position and moving back the iris)
What is your opinion/experience?
Thank you.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Have someone slide the sight forward and back while you look through it at the front sight. There will be a spot you like best.
Albert B

distance

Post by Albert B »

I found the distance between the aiming eye and the iris is somewhere between 5 and 10cm (1 and 2 inch).
It is depending on several factors like: light conditions, diameter of the iris, personal preferences, use of color filters etc.
Most times I advice my shooters to start with an iris of 1.1mm diameter, find a good cheeckweld and then slide the rearsight forward or backwards untill they get the sharpest picture of the frontsight and insert.
From there they can adjust the iris diameter to any coming changes in light conditions.
An indication for a good position of the rear sight is a constant rithm in your sighting and shooting without having to 'work hard' to see the sight picture and release the shot. When you have to place your cheeck several times and have trouble releasing the shot, try changing the distance rearsight-iris. Keep the iris the same diameter and shoot 5-shot groups, placing the rear sight 2 or 3 millimeters further away from the eye. You will find that the groups start getting smaller and shot release will become easier at a certain point, and from that point on start getting bigger/more difficult again.

Albert B
(The Netherlands)