Anyone know the alloy composition of Lead Pellets ?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

amonkey

Anyone know the alloy composition of Lead Pellets ?

Post by amonkey »

Being cheap by nature, I was hoping to melt down all of my expended pellets and start casting bullets for some of my firearms to save money.
It would help to know what material I'm working with.
Does anyone know what is in our little .177 friends? Pure lead? Lead / tin?, etc.
Thanks again to those that know things no one else knows!
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

I believe it to be pure, or mostly pure.
I use it for casting black powder balls, because it is so soft.
I think the addition of some tin would make a usable target pistol bullet.

R.M.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

It's more pure than firearm bullets but it does contain some tin, I believe.

Post by Guest »

Perhaps you could measue a small samples weight and displacement. Calculate the specific gravity then use that to determine if its pure lead or not.
AAlex

Post by AAlex »

Pure lead is too soft, so antimony is added to increase hardness. Otherwise pellets would get damaged when you shake them around or squeeze them too tight when handling. The amount of antimony is so small that you would have really hard time detecting it by measuring density. However, it is enough to make the resulting alloy hard enough, which might not make it a best choice for bullet casting.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

I know the host will buy back used pellets. not sure of the composition though. maybe he would know if you asked him.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Pellets by Vogel, H&N and RWS are basically 99.2 - 99.5 % lead. the other ingrediants are tin and antimony and some trace elements like arsenic and silver . That .8 % mix does'nt sound like much but it is essential to an accurate pellet.

I know normal bullet lead is often 3 to 5% Antimony, (97-95% lead) which is much harder. I also know that a roll of this lead made into pellet size wire and processed through a pellet making machine makes 10 shot groups that looks like they came from a shot gun.
guestf

Post by guestf »

pilkguns wrote:Pellets by Vogel, H&N and RWS are basically 99.2 - 99.5 % lead. the other ingrediants are tin and antimony and some trace elements like arsenic and silver . That .8 % mix does'nt sound like much but it is essential to an accurate pellet.

I know normal bullet lead is often 3 to 5% Antimony, (97-95% lead) which is much harder. I also know that a roll of this lead made into pellet size wire and processed through a pellet making machine makes 10 shot groups that looks like they came from a shot gun.
And the AP barrel will soon look like a shotgun barrel