Daisey 887

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Brandon Maloy

Daisey 887

Post by Brandon Maloy »

Hey i was just wondering if the daisy 887 is worth the extra money over the 888.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Definitely worth more money. The stock is the same as the 753 pump gun. The stock is almost like a high power over the course gun, high cheekpiece, vertical pistol grip. If I were still shooting rifle regularly, I'd have one. Switched to pistol three years ago.

Mike
Wichita KS
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I totally agree with Mike.
1) Better Stock
2) Better sights

The only reason I use an 888 now is when I am transitioning a younger shooter from a small, lightweight XSV-40 to a Daisy.

Sometimes the the (slightly) greater weight of the 887 is too much for a smaller shooter, so I have 3-4 spare 888 stocks and swap it out.

If the shooter has a smaller head, I'll also use a stock 888 sight set to get their head/eye more in line w/ the sights

By spending the extra money on an 887 you won't regret it. Basically all I buy for our club these days
Citori Girl

love the 887

Post by Citori Girl »

I totally agree with Joel - the 887 is worth it. My sons shot the daylights out of the 853s and kind of plateaued in their scores - they needed to move up to the more precise 887 and the improved scores are showing it. The slightly different stock, better rear sight and improved trigger are what sold me on it. I didn't have any luck finding a used one to buy - Daisy gives a pretty good deal - you could call them directly and order one. It does take a while to get used to the CO2 if you're not familiar with it. I would also recommend purchasing an extra cylinder.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

You know .... the accuracy in both the 853, 753 and 888/887 are the same .... It's just that the kids don't wear out by pumping the silly thing.

That's why you will still see some matches that categorize pneumatic (pumped) and compressed gas guns .... The compressed gas shooters have the advantage in less physical energy burned during the match

We just had a match this weekend .... a 3x10, and we had one small high school freshman so tuckered she could hard cock her 853 rifle in last shots of the kneeling.

Look at the BB gun matches .... same thing some of those small shooters just can't cock it so the coach is allowed to.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

jhmartin wrote:You know .... the accuracy in both the 853, 753 and 888/887 are the same .... It's just that the kids don't wear out by pumping the silly thing.
Hi

They also don't get out of position to cock the gun. Right handed CO2 and PCP rifle shooters only move their trigger hand to load and cock the gun, the sling stays in place. The legs stay in place, the left hand stays in place, etc.

Mike
Wichita KS
edlarson

Post by edlarson »

We are looking at getting five of the 887's this summer. We'd like to start moving out the older 853's, we have 12, but don't seem to get ahead on equipment. With being able to maintain the older guns, you just have a hard time letting them go. We use the 853's for the younger shooters. Lighter and it slows them down and makes them work. Are we too hard on them? They do get out of position, but then they don't get set in one spot and have to learn to get to position, so we look at that as training. We have five 888's. Has anyone done a stock and sight upgrade on the 888's to make a fake 887 or are the parts just not available yet?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The person to talk to is Denise Johnson at Daisy

You can purchase 887 stocks and the sights .... I'm not sure of the current prices, but figure in the $100 range for stock & sights

Her contact info is:
Denise Johnson
Daisy Outdoor Products
Special Markets/Customer Service
479-621-4317
djohnso@daisy.com
MikeG1

Post by MikeG1 »

Hi Y'all, I am a 4-H Shooting Sports Leader here in the Ozarks of Missouri. This is my first time on and just wanted to introduce myself. We had 12 Youth, 5 Junior and 1 Senior this year for a total of 18 shooters in our Air Rifle Program this year. I am proud of that number because last year we had 6 Youth shooters, We are in our third year and things seem to be going well. Daisy 953s with a few 753s are the rifles of choice and are obtained through Daisy. Many thanks to Daisy for their help and interest in 4-H Shooting Sports. The Club has an 887 on order and we are anxious to get it. Any tips on it's "Good or Bad" habits would be appreciated. Nice to be with you and I look forward to visiting with you in the future. Mike
MikeG1

Post by MikeG1 »

If you wish, I would like to make contact with any 4-H Leaders in Air Rifle and Rifle. Y'all have a good night. Mike