Electronic trainers

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Telecomtodd

Electronic trainers

Post by Telecomtodd »

Hello all - I'm new here!

I'm interested in getting feedback on electronic trainers - I know they work, but which would work best for my son? Choices I see thus far are limited to Rika and Noptel. My son has an Anschutz 1913 and will be doing some intensive training this spring and summer. I'm considering the electronic training system in conjunction with live fire and dry fire (with a firing pin cap of course). I know they are expensive, but...are there used ones out there? Ones to stay away from?
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Don't forget Scatt. (www.scatt.com)

US distributor http://www.centershot.com/index.html

There was a thread some time ago about the relative virtues of the different systems.

Used ones come up once in a blue moon.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I've used Scatt in the past, and currently use a Noptel system.
My Scatt was a second hand unit, an early serial port model, and it was a bit difficult to calibrate. I believe that the newer USB ones are easier to set up.
My Noptel Sport II was also bought second hand, from an add in TargetTalk :)
The Noptel is slightly simpler to set up than the Scatt [for me] and slightly more flexible in the ways that i can use it. I can dry fire with the Noptel at home, then live fire my AP or .22 rifle at the range.

With both systems, the biggest problem for new users is in the interpretation of the data. You can make big advances in your technique, by analyzing the data yourself, but having a coach look at the files can save a lot of time.

It's possible to save some money on the Noptel, by getting the 10 metre kit, and sourcing prisms elsewhere. My training buddy managed to find ex-military retro-reflectors for about $12US each, which we epoxy bonded into a sandwich box.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have a noptel. Very nice system, easy to use. I have found that for indoors reflective tape can be used instead of a prism. Much cheaper.
PaulT

USB

Post by PaulT »

SCATT USB calibration is very quick and easy.

I also have an old SCATT Serial interface unit and this is irritating when attaching to a variety of pistols; for example, when coaching a group so i use this for myself at home.

Have to agree, interpretation is very important to get the best out of any unit!
kbc

SAM-Trainer

Post by kbc »

There is also a SAM-Trainer. It is wireless and seem very ergonomic. But I don't know how it compares to Noptel. However it is a lot cheaper than Noptel, less than 1000 Euro.

http://www.knestel.de/SAM_Trainer__English.47.0.html
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

How is a trainer ergonomic?
kbc

Ergonomic

Post by kbc »

SAM's sensor is compact and its wirelss feature makes it appear more elegant than having a cable hanging down from the sensor, which adds mass and inertial. Thus it appears more ergonomic. I don't know how it compares to other trainer system such as Noptel or Rika. It seems like SAM is not very popular here in U.S.
David Levene

Re: SAM-Trainer

Post by David Levene »

kbc wrote:There is also a SAM-Trainer. It is wireless and seem very ergonomic.
From memory doesn't the SAM rely on accelerometers and is totally independant of where the gun is pointing. It just measures gun movement.

The system may have changed since I last saw it (about 15 years ago).
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Anyone using the Anschutz version of the Noptel unit?