Air Pistols in Japan?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

sparky

Air Pistols in Japan?

Post by sparky »

Anyone know what the rules and regulations regarding air pistols are in Japan? I'd like to know what it would take to have my Steyr LP-1P there if I were to move there.
Makoto

Re: Air Pistols in Japan?

Post by Makoto »

sparky wrote:Anyone know what the rules and regulations regarding air pistols are in Japan? I'd like to know what it would take to have my Steyr LP-1P there if I were to move there.
Unfortunately, you would have to leave your Steyr or any other gun you have at home here in the US.

Guns are basically banned in Japan. If, however, you are determined to own an air rifle(not a pistol), first you will have to take a class offered by your municipal police. Second pass a knowledge test (in Japanese, of course) and apply for a permit for each and every rifle you would like to own. Then, the police will interview you, the purpose of which is to convince you to give up your wish to own a gun. It took me over a month to have my first air rifle permit 25 years ago, and the gun control laws have gotten even stricter since.

Owning an air pistol is something else altogether. You would, first, have to own an air rifle, shoot at least 520 at a recognized match, and then apply for the "Japan Rifle Association Recommendation." The recommendation proves that you are a serious shooter and worthy of having a PISTOL.

Only 500 people are allowed to own air pistols in the whole country and 30 are allowed to shoot .22 or .32 pistols. To my knowledge, only 8 civilian-owned free pistols and 2 center fire pistols exist in Japan, and the pistols must be kept at the local police station.

If you love shooting sport, Japan is the last place on earth you would want to go.
boris

Post by boris »

There is a reason for karate and other martial arts popularity.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

This must explain why they don't make target weapons, air or cartridge, they don't have a home market to sell to.

Peepsight
sparky

Post by sparky »

Strangely they do make firearms for civilians in Japan (Weatherby rifles, for example), but I guess they don't sell too many at home. Having lived there for several years before, I knew the laws were tough for firearms, but I was hoping they were less strict for air pistols.

Thanks for the info.
peepsight

Japan

Post by peepsight »

Sparkey

You are quite right, i had a really nice Miroku trap gun made in Japan and they also make some of the cheaper Brownings. They do have a gun industry but 99% is for export.
I have often wondered if the Japs decided to enter the target market with air and small bore match weapons, would they be as good as the Germans? If their cars and cameras are anything to go by, the answer must be yes and possibly cheaper! I doubt it will happen.

Peepsight