Anything useful out of the SHOT show?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mike M.

Anything useful out of the SHOT show?

Post by Mike M. »

I know that high-end target shooting is not quite the most popular activity, but I thought I'd see if anything that might be of interest came out of the SHOT show.
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

I didn't see much of anything "interesting", but here is what I saw:

Anschutz had a booth, with rifles; but I didn't see any pistols. I tried bumping into our host, but no luck crossing paths. Scott had a real business reason to be there, so I imagine that he stayed busy. The Anschutz family was there, and as cordial as ever.

Roehm (as in Twinmaster) had a very small booth. I learned that the Tesro PA10 is also distributed by Roehm as the TM 10, by Airguns of Arizona, for the alarming price of $1795! While it is indeed an upper tier air pistol, I don't see it selling here because it is competing with pistols that have long, hard-earned, excellent reputations, like the Morini, Steyr, and Anschutz line, all (priced closely to or below the TM10.) I dry fired it, and liked the balance and overall feel. I would spend $1100-$1200 on one.

Speaking of excellent, I had a chance to meet one of our insider contributors, THE Francesco Repich of Morini, who was in the Samco Global booth (Which I found kind of strange!) Again, a very cordial gentleman. I may have been convinced to buy a Morini Air Pistol!

The blob/conglomerate/association of Hammerli-Walther had pistols, but not a complete line (no Walther air pistols), and like others with airpistols, no cylinders (see the newest TSA-cylinder thread). I understand the hassle, but, other air gun manufacturers and distributers used inert (drilled) cylinders, giving those interested a chance to feel the balance of a pistol. The only literature for the Hammerli-Walther line was a stack of old Champions Choice catalogs. It looked like the Hammerli-Walther group left the Champions Choice Rep hanging a little high and dry. I heard several people ask for their literature, and all were told apologetically that no literature was currently available. I examined the FP 60. It looks nice, and appears very functional. Much closer in design and execution to the 160 that the SAM incarnation. Someone had cranked on the trigger, so the set trigger could not be dry-fired.

Beeman had FWB air guns, but when I asked the representative for literature, and to see if a cylinder was available, he said sure, wait one second, and promptly walked away never to return. Okay, I am a flunky in the grand scheme of things, but at least be polite.

Benelli S.A. had a booth with 2 kites and an MP95 and MP90- all under glass. I didn't see Larry Carter there, but that doesn't meen he wasn't. Like Scott, if he was there, it was for business.

I did see the AirForce Edge, and think it is a brilliant bit of engineering! I would love to have one for informal target shooting, once they go into production. It sounded like the price point was going to be very affordable (As in sub $400!)

I didn't see any Pardini, FAS, or Matchguns gear.

Of course, Eley was there. Dan Olley is always good for a few good laughs. All of the Eley guys went to a bar to watch the Superbowl, and I think they were in fear for their lives (surely we are not worse than soccer hooligans?!?!?). Their lineup is getting a bit more streamlined (no more 100 choices of rimfire ammunition) and Tenex gets a much needed improvement to the box. I know it seems silly, but I also know I am not the first to show up at a match expecting to have a brick of Tenex when I open my suitcase, but instead get 5 boxes, 250 loose rounds, and a handfull of shattered plastic bits!

Brenzovich Firearms training had a little booth, and I got a chance to fiddle with the Noptel Sport trainer they had set up on a FWB P44. If they were affordable to a schmoe like me, I would be all over one. It really was a neat and compact setup.

EAA had an IZH-45M and, of course, their obligatory poster girls.

Of course, there was a lot more cool stuff, but I'll save that for other forums.

Toznerd
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

The Benelli guy would open the cases if asked, I like the Kite.

I hated the Hammerli and all of the Walthers.

I wish Steyr and Anschutz brought air pistols.

The FWB was very nice.

The Noptel price made me have a mild stroke.

The Taiwan knock off Noptel was very cheesey.

The IZH 46M at EAA has a much better trigger than mine.

I'd like to get either a RRA or Les Baer .45 for conventional.

I got some good free stuff and there were lots of hot babes.

Also saw Matt Hughes and Lou Ferrigno.

Pretty good show.

Edit for butchering the Hulk's spelling.
Last edited by Dogchaser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Loe Ferrigno ???

Do you mean Lou Ferrigno aka " The Incredible Hulk" if so cool. If not who is Loe Ferrigno?
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

Damn,

I missed the Hulk this year! I did see R Lee Ermey and Rob Leatham. In SHOT shows in the past I have seen Steven Tyler (I almost crushed him rounding a corner- his body guard almost laughed out loud), Tom Knapp, and Jeff Cooper. I saw Ted Nugent, but not at the show. He was waiting for his flight on Northwest, next to the AA gate I flew out of. I have spoken to "Theodore" several times in the past. It seems like I always see him at an airport (near a Northwest gate)! His ranch in Texas was only several miles from a lease I was on in Bosque county. Him and W are nearly neighbors.

And yes, the Walther/Hammerli stuff didn't do too much for me either. As for the Noptel Sport; my gosh, I nearly plotzed myself!

toznerd
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

Richard H wrote:Loe Ferrigno ???

Do you mean Lou Ferrigno aka " The Incredible Hulk" if so cool. If not who is Loe Ferrigno?

I just got out ofthe carafter 8 hours of driving home.

You caught me!!
jipe

Post by jipe »

toznerd wrote:Roehm (as in Twinmaster) had a very small booth. I learned that the Tesro PA10 is also distributed by Roehm as the TM 10, by Airguns of Arizona, for the alarming price of $1795! While it is indeed an upper tier air pistol, I don't see it selling here because it is competing with pistols that have long, hard-earned, excellent reputations, like the Morini, Steyr, and Anschutz line, all (priced closely to or below the TM10.) I dry fired it, and liked the balance and overall feel. I would spend $1100-$1200 on one.
TH PA10-2 is really an high end pistol competing against LP10, LP@, CM162, P44, LP300XT... Its price in Europe is similar to the one of those pistols and it begins to have a real success. A fair price for it would then be a price close to the US price of the other pistols.

For those who do not know the PA10-2:
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Dogchaser wrote:
Richard H wrote:Loe Ferrigno ???

I just got out ofthe carafter 8 hours of driving home.

You caught me!!
Hey I spelled more than one thing wrong before too, I just wasn't sure who that was and if I should know who that was.

Sounds like you had a good time.

Going to have to get there one year myself.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I have shot the Tesro it is a nice pistol, it is definately in the same league as the top tier pistols, but that said IMHO they don't have any reputation, limited dealer network, so I think they are out of line asking the same price as pistols that have proven reliabilty records and support.
Ernie Rodriguez

Shot Show

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Thanks for sharing your info on the shot show. It helps for those that didn't go to the show.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Richard H wrote:I have shot the Tesro it is a nice pistol, it is definately in the same league as the top tier pistols, but that said IMHO they don't have any reputation, limited dealer network, so I think they are out of line asking the same price as pistols that have proven reliabilty records and support.
Completely agree with you + issues about the perenity of the brand.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

4 or 5 years ago at the SHOT show I was talking to Tim McMurray and LD plus 3 or 4 other guys when Lou Ferrigno walked up into the conversation. After a couple of minutes, Lou, pointed at my name badge and said, "Wow, your'e Scott Pilkington, I love your website!"

that was cool!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Now that is cool.